Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Under hood felt - Sound deadener or paint protection?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think the felt pad is holding in extra heat?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
do you think the felt pad is holding in extra heat?
In my opinion, when off-roading slowly, and the fan is not running, yes. Enough that removing it will be noticed? Probably not.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The thing wrong with vents near the back of the hood is when on the road, there is a high pressure area in front of the windshield. The high pressure will make air go into the engine bay, causing less air to go through the radiator.
If you have access to a Jeep with a rear-facing hood vent near the firewall, you can easily test it – just tape a strip of light silk or nylon, and see how it moves when driving. That’s what we did after a friend of mine improvised a rear-facing vent. At speed, the silk strip showed nice air flow out of it.
When moving, in-coming air flow under the hood created more pressure under the hood next to the firewall, than the possible pressure in front the bottom of the windscreen.
Also, if given an exit, hot air would flow up & out.

Removing the fender liners will force air from the wheel wells into the engine bay when driving on the road, also diminishing the amount of air through the radiator.
Hot air concentrates under the hood, at the highest place, from which is has no exit – next to the firewall. The fender liners location is lower, so removing them doesn’t allow that hot air ‘pocket’ to vent out.

The best thing you can do to improve under-hood cooling is increase the air flow through the grill.
See this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...trofit-235132/
Under-hood (engine bay) cooling and engine cooling are two different things.
A more efficient fan reduces the temperature of the water.
The fan air flow doesn’t reach the upper rear corner in the engine bay. Even if it did, it would have forced already hot air, which gets even hotter by flowing over the engine block, into that ‘pocket’, from which the air has no escape.

All of my under-hood temps on-road and off-road are way down from where they were before the addition of the mechanical fan.
The same principal you mention regarding the radiator fan, can by applied to cool the engine bay -- use a fan to force the hot air out, from where it is accumulated. Such solutions exist, and are used on vehicles and boats. Some are straight-forward install, some require improvisation.
By sucking air out from the rear of the engine bat, any of these would also increase air flow over the radiator.

Links --
---------------------

As for the sound insulation under the hood –
Heat insulation materials typically also insulate sound, but not vice versa. Sound insulation does not effectively insulate heat.

That layer under the hood is not – and shouldn’t be – an effective heat insulator.
The hood serves as a large area of steel that absorbs heat from the engine bay and dissipates it.
That’s why I wouldn’t use a fiberglass hood, unless it’s VERY well vented.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-04-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

1) Hot air concentrates under the hood, at the highest place, from which is has no exit – next to the firewall.

2) Under-hood (engine bay) cooling and engine cooling are two different things.

3) As for the sound insulation under the hood –
Heat insulation materials typically also insulate sound, but not vice versa. Sound insulation does not effectively insulate heat.

Okay, so then:

1) There is a weather strip that runs along the firewall and hood, does it make sense to remove it or at least parts of it (so hood doesn't rattle) in order to let air into the cowl vent area?

2) Correct, thermostat will keep internal engine temp regulated. I'm thinking electronics such as the ECM where heat can damage electronics, ambient air for the intake, as well as helping cool the engine when under load.

3) So you think removing the felt won't help with under hood temps?
Old 07-04-2015, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, so then:

1) There is a weather strip that runs along the firewall and hood, does it make sense to remove it or at least parts of it (so hood doesn't rattle) in order to let air into the cowl vent area?
It seems to me that the area of the open slot would be too small to make a meaningful difference.

2) Correct, thermostat will keep internal engine temp regulated. I'm thinking electronics such as the ECM where heat can damage electronics, ambient air for the intake, as well as helping cool the engine when under load.
The thermostat & fan can keep the coolant temp' only up to a certain ambient temp'.
The higher the ambient temp' is, the lower the radiator efficiency gets.
If the air blown through the radiator it too warm, it doesn't cool it enough.
A more efficient fan, raises the ambient temp' at which it can still cool the water.

Leading ambient temp' air into the engine, while keeping water or dust out, is simple... a snorkel. The low-mount Rugged Ridge snorkel, for instance.

3) So you think removing the felt won't help with under hood temps?
Not really.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-04-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mschneid
Let me see pics of vents that you have done. I'm sure it will be cheaper plus the body shop wants $400-$500 to paint so $1,100 is too much just for a 14% temp drop.
Here you go.

Attachment 617265

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1534288734.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	617266

Name:	image-3557945235.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	617267

Name:	image-1995384511.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	617268

Quick Reply: Under hood felt - Sound deadener or paint protection?