Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Under hood felt - Sound deadener or paint protection?

Old 07-03-2015, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under hood felt - Sound deadener or paint protection?

Is the pad under the hood for sound deadening or paint protection from the heat?

I'm thinking of a "vented" hood, should I put this back on after the install? I'm not worried about sound but I want to make sure the paint is protected and I want lowest under hood temperature. Is there anything else I should do to lower under hood temps?
Old 07-03-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4237218895.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	616836

Mine didn't come with a blanket, and its fine I live in the southwest desert and it gets hot over here!
No hood paint damage at all. I added the daystar hood vents and they work well.
Here's a picture
Old 07-03-2015, 06:53 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Put mine back in after venting, thought it looked better. Pictures on build thread if you want to see.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

I'm not sure, but I know that the TJ's didn't come with it. I haven't seen any paint issues on TJ hoods caused by heat
Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Took mine off when I installed the Poison Spyder hood louvre and haven't had any issues. Save yourself some $$ and consider adding that verses replacing the whole hood. I can see the heat venting out at stop lights and on the trail.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

I'm not meaning to hijack.... But a free option to help with the heat in the engine bay is to remove the inner fender liner. Yea, it keeps some mud out of there if you decide to play in the mud, but its free and it helps
Old 07-03-2015, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Let me see pics of vents that you have done. I'm sure it will be cheaper plus the body shop wants $400-$500 to paint so $1,100 is too much just for a 14% temp drop.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mschneid
Is the pad under the hood for sound deadening or paint protection from the heat?

I'm thinking of a "vented" hood, should I put this back on after the install? I'm not worried about sound but I want to make sure the paint is protected and I want lowest under hood temperature. Is there anything else I should do to lower under hood temps?
Sound deadening is what it's for. Lower models don't have it
Old 07-03-2015, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid

It's for sound damping. Try parking (warm engine) for a few hrs under direct sun, in real hot weather, then touch the hood... with the pad, you can still fry on it. The paint stays OK.

If you want true hot air venting, go for an efficient cooling hood rather than for advertising blah-blah.
The vents should be located near the firewall, and not forward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vents Location - JPEG.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	616868

Last edited by GJeep; 07-03-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The thing wrong with vents near the back of the hood is when on the road, there is a high pressure area in front of the windshield. The high pressure will make air go into the engine bay, causing less air to go through the radiator.

Removing the fender liners will force air from the wheel wells into the engine bay when driving on the road, also diminishing the amount of air through the radiator.

The best thing you can do to improve under-hood cooling is increase the air flow through the grill.
See this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...trofit-235132/

All of my under-hood temps on-road and off-road are way down from where they were before the addition of the mechanical fan.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-03-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Under hood felt - Sound deadener or paint protection?