Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

uh oh...

Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEVER drive without the trackbar. VERY dangerous... it is the ONLY thing that prevents the axle from moving side to side under a vehicle with a suspension setup like this.

Triangulated 4 link or 3 links do not need a track bar because of the triangulation, but the 4 link (realy a 5 link) on the front and rear of a JK HAS to have a track bar.

Track bar... sway bar... two completely different suspension parts.

And that coil spring spacer under the coil springs is quite cheesy. I have never seen a suspension company even offer something like that... probably a backwoods buildup.

Last edited by olyelr; 03-17-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you CANNOT drive without a read trackbar. You need to have it flat towed to a shop to have a new bracket welded on. You guys are ridiculous for telling him that people drive with no trackbars. Absurd.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thoroughly confused now, it was just getting ready to make the drive, now I'm not sure.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
you CANNOT drive without a read trackbar. You need to have it flat towed to a shop to have a new bracket welded on. You guys are ridiculous for telling him that people drive with no trackbars. Absurd.
I agree! These guys are idiots telling you it's safe to drive. Get it towed to someone who can fix it.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rip_Em_801
I am thoroughly confused now, it was just getting ready to make the drive, now I'm not sure.
You can drive you still have 4 control arms keeping your Axle under your jeep , without a track bar axle will shift side to side

The main question is how far is the drive and what speed

Mine broke and I drove on till I found out what even broke , the second time it broke I still had to drive it to the place to get it fixed

Last edited by jaker t5; 03-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do NOT drive it. The control arms were not designed to handle the side movement of the axle. At very minimum you will destroy the bushings in the control arms. At most the frame or axle mounts will break and cause a loss of control leading to an accident.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Agreed do not drive. My son had a trackbar bracket that loosened up and when he went around a corner the axel traveled to the side bending his control arms, went off the road, through a telephone pole and flipped it. I would look into a heavied up bracket. There are bolt on ones that you can also have welded on later.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Think about it, there was enough force to break the track bar mount! Why would you risk that force on parts not designed for it!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Again how far do you need to drive to get fixed

If you got to get on the freeway or drive 10+ miles then tow it

If the place is local and no freeway and under 10 miles then use caution if you decide to drive it
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ranjr
Think about it, there was enough force to break the track bar mount! Why would you risk that force on parts not designed for it!
That mount breaking really doesn't have to do with force it is more of a crappy mount and bad leverage on a crappy stock mount

Mine broke twice and I was driving on the road when it broke off

Last edited by jaker t5; 03-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.