Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is the U-Joint on My Front Driveshaft Failing?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the U-Joint on My Front Driveshaft Failing?

I was working under my JK today, and I noticed some grease on one of the u-joint caps on the pinion end of the front driveshaft (Coast 1310 with Spicer u-joints).

I confirmed that the u-bolt nuts are torqued correctly to 17 ft lbs. The pinion angle is a few degrees from zero to keep the caster in check, but the shaft runs smoothly with no vibrations. The shaft has about 3,000 miles on it and has been wheeled twice with no issues.

Any idea what would cause this? Is the grease a sign that the u-joint is failing?

Last edited by mvymr; 01-01-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi

That's normal. The grease works its way out, and when u grease the joints u want some of the old grease to come out so u have new grease in the u joint. Then just wipe it off.
If u take a screwdriver or small prybar into the joint and pry slightly and u have play then the joint is bad.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
That's normal. The grease works its way out, and when u grease the joints u want some of the old grease to come out so u have new grease in the u joint. Then just wipe it off.
Is that also true for sealed u-joints like the ones that come with the Coast shafts?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mvymr

Is that also true for sealed u-joints like the ones that come with the Coast shafts?
Sealed are different. If a sealed joint is failing u will almost always see rust where the little dust boots are or they will be cracked. At least that's what I've seen.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do yourself a favor and run these

Spicer 5-1310-1X

cold forged / serviceable
Old 03-14-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sudz
do yourself a favor and run these

Spicer 5-1310-1X

cold forged / serviceable
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually have some spare 5-1310X u-joints on hand. I think that's the sealed version of the one you mentioned.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mvymr
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually have some spare 5-1310X u-joints on hand. I think that's the sealed version of the one you mentioned.
ur welcome, i run the -1X. hitting 'em with grease once in a while is a bonus

Quick Reply: Is the U-Joint on My Front Driveshaft Failing?