Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tyres for beadlocks

Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres for beadlocks

Gday fellas
Just going to do an overseas order and wanna check first to see that if its alright to order a 17x10 inch tyre for a 17x8.5 inch beadlock rim? i can't see it being a problem but wondering if there is a safe limit i should adhere to...
Tyre guys stop speaking once you mention beadlocks
Old 03-18-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by King_Bogan
Gday fellas
Just going to do an overseas order and wanna check first to see that if its alright to order a 17x10 inch tyre for a 17x8.5 inch beadlock rim? i can't see it being a problem but wondering if there is a safe limit i should adhere to...
Tyre guys stop speaking once you mention beadlocks
That's an awfully skinny tire, assuming the section width is the 10" you refer to (~ 265 mm) for that wide a rim.

Typically, that 8.5" rim would have more like a 11.5 - 13.5" section width tire, rather than a wee 265 mm tire on it.

For street cars, the rims are typically ~ 80% of the section width, which gives about no sidewall bulge to speak of....so you'd be in the ball park if doing a honda civic for autocross, etc.

For a truck that goes off road (And hence, NEEDS BEADLOCKS), you WANT sidewall bulge, its part of what allows the tire to conform to the terrain to gain more traction....so a wide rim is a disadvantage off road.

A Wide TIRE and a Skinny RIM, is better off road, all else being equal.

So, if you want pizza cutter 265 mm skinny tires, a 7" rim is plenty.

Your offroad performance on an 8.5" rim will not be as good.

Have you considered getting real tires?

Ones wide enough to work better off road?

If you are willing to get more like a 12.5" section width (~ 305 - 315 mm depending upon the actual tire make, etc...), the entire equation will work better for you.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry didn't explain too well. the actual tyre is 13 or more inchs wide but says 17x10 (for the rim size to be fitted on).

I was just wondering what the limit is to when the bulge becomes ridiculous or makes the car sway too much
Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by King_Bogan
sorry didn't explain too well. the actual tyre is 13 or more inchs wide but says 17x10 (for the rim size to be fitted on).

I was just wondering what the limit is to when the bulge becomes ridiculous or makes the car sway too much
LOL

OK, well that was answered in the post too...those rims would be OK for a 285 mm - 13.5" tire....no sweat.

13" is within that range, so you're golden.

Now, as for sway, handling, etc...we still have no clue as to the tire's type, size, aspect ratio or other specs, so there's no way to know.

So far, we think its a _____ x ~ 13"/17 tire...

or

maybe a __325? /_________ /17 tire

Last edited by TEEJ; 03-18-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Tyres for beadlocks