Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tyre fitting

Old 04-22-2015, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response Mark, I will have to have a look around for some other suspension kits. Any recommendations?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanfoote86
Thank you for your response Mark, I will have to have a look around for some other suspension kits. Any recommendations?
There are a lot of options out there. I'm partial to Teraflex, but as you read above I did have to replace the rear springs. A friend did the same thing, and even with the OME heavy duty springs it still sags. So he's opting to install an even heavier set. But these are expedition rigs--we carry lots of gear that most folks never carry--last time I weighed my Jeep it was 6800 pounds (including people)! TF does make an overland lift now, but I think it's 3 inches. That may be something you want to consider if you run heavy. Or their standard 2.5" coil lift if you don't.

I have other friends who really like their AEV 2.5" lifts. That one uses brackets to reposition the control arms, where with the TF lifts we added front lower control arms. I prefer that latter approach. I'm also not a fan of the Bilstein 5100 shocks that come with the AEV lift because Bilstein and AEV did not do their homework: Installing the front passenger shock is unnecessarily difficult because of its design. If they didn't bother to make the install straightforward, what other not so obvious things did they not bother to engineer right?

I've worked with quite a few other lift brands as well--helping to install and troubleshoot death wobble and such--and there are some popular ones that did not impress me. I won't rain on people's choices--some I don't care for are very popular on this forum--but will say check out other threads and see what others have to say.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Just to add another comment to what Mark has said: If you like the look of a 3.5" lift, and that is what you decide on, by all means get it. Just be aware of the problems that lifting causes, and know which components correct which issues. That way you can decide if the lift you choose is likely to perform the way you want it to, and you will know what your options are to correct any problems you run into. (like when the front driveshaft spits out all of its grease, or the rear driveshaft boot tears on the evap skid, or ...)
Old 04-23-2015, 01:17 AM
JK Newbie

Ok thank you Mark I will have a little shop around to see what else is out there.
With a 2.5" lift is it worth getting new shocks? Or should I stay with my standard ones? I've not even done 10,000 miles in the car yet.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:27 AM
JK Newbie

The duratec package states that 2.5" will only take up to a 34" tyre, you need the 3.5 for a 35
Old 04-23-2015, 01:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Ok thank you Mark I will have a little shop around to see what else is out there.
With a 2.5" lift is it worth getting new shocks? Or should I stay with my standard ones? I've not even done 10,000 miles in the car yet.
You'll need longer shocks to realize the greater articulation. Otherwise, you'll need shock extenders to keep your stock shocks. Most kits come with them if you don't buy new shocks.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The duratec package states that 2.5" will only take up to a 34" tyre, you need the 3.5 for a 35
"Duratec package"? Not sure what that is. But I'm relating my experience, as well as that of my friends. If you watched my videos, many of those rigs are running 35s on various makes of 2.5" lifts.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are a LOT of variables involved.

This is where spending some time doing a little research before just pulling out the credit card comes in handy. Stock flares vs chopped vs flats can make a big difference. Actual lift height you are likely to get with a specific mfg's coils can make a big difference. (you will see posts about 2.5" coils giving 2", 2.5", 3", 4", a few have even been closer to 5" for specific coils on specific light jk's). The amount of bumpstop you run can help keep the bigger tires off the flares. The amount of backspace on the rims can keep the tires off the frame/links/skid. The amount of trimming on the skid/pinch seams/front bumper can make a difference for tire clearance. Whether or not the axles are centered can make a difference. You have to think of the overall build, not just
The duratec package states that 2.5" will only take up to a 34" tyre...
Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again, this is why all the questions are coming out. I was looking in to getting a shortened front bumper as well.
I know about look at other aspects as before moving to Saudi all of my cars were modified the other way around to make them closer to the ground haha.
just trying to work out the problems that occur with raising the height it is completely new to me.

Quick Reply: Tyre fitting