Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tyre fitting

Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre fitting

I am looking at upgrading the tyres on my JK, the wheels I have are the 2014 Sahara 5 spoke alloys.
I am looking at 17" x 70 depth but not sure on what width I should go for?
looking for a chunky width.
also does anybody know if I will need spacers and if so what thickness?
I am already aware that I will need a 3.5" lift kit.

Cheers Jordan
Old 04-21-2015, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what size tire you plan on running.??
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

17-315-R70? If not what would be the widest width I could fit on to the Sahara alloy safely?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought sahara wheels were 18's
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

No the flat 5 spoke Sahara alloys on a 2014 model are 17"
Old 04-21-2015, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You are looking at two different options, right? New rims - or - larger tires on stock rims? And you also want recommendations on what rim width to go with?

For a 35x12.50 (or metric equivalent) a 4.5" backspace is the typical recommendation. Some people are fine with 5" or higher bs's, just depends on the specifics. If you are looking at rims that list Offset, just convert it to backspace for an easier time of figuring out how far out they will move the tires. (stock rim 6-6.25" backspace, new rim has 4.5 backspace, they move out around 2"...)

Bigger tires on stock rims, plus spacers. Again, the stock rims are in the 6.00" - 6.25" backspace range. So if you add 1.5" spacers, the new effective backspace is 4.50 - 4.75, or in line with the recommendation for 35x12.50's. Lots of people run wider tires on these rims with no issue. The problems you might find is that some shops will not mount them due to the rim width recommendation on the tire itself. (stock rims are narrower than the tire mfg's spec for that tire) If you run into this, just find another shop. The other problem is that some shops won't touch a jeep with wheel spacers. Again, just find another shop. (just noticed your location, you probably won't have an issue with shops caring about the legal aspect of wide tires on narrow rims or wheel spacers ...)

Rim widths is personal preference, but 8" - 9" is pretty standard. Some like 10".

Also, you don't really need a 3.5" lift to run 35's.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-21-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help guys, the option i am now looking at is tyres and spacers on stock alloys they are a 9" width so i should be ok.

Plus i currently live in Saudi Arabia so getting them fitted will never be a problem just pay the man a few more pennies haha.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Also, you don't really need a 3.5" lift to run 35's.
hown come?
I was told that I need 2.5" minimum?
But can only get 3.5" in the kit I want.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

first its TIRES. not TYRES.

second, all you need is to trim your fenders and 35s fit on stock.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanfoote86
I am looking at upgrading the tyres on my JK, the wheels I have are the 2014 Sahara 5 spoke alloys.
I am looking at 17" x 70 depth but not sure on what width I should go for?
looking for a chunky width.
also does anybody know if I will need spacers and if so what thickness?
I am already aware that I will need a 3.5" lift kit.

Cheers Jordan
Jordan--

We used to have an FAQ on this, but not sure what has happened to it. Some folks have run 35s on stock rims with no lift. I think my approach is a bit more widely accepted, however, so will just tell you what I've done and provide a few pics ...

I have 315/75R16 (35") Goodyear Duratracs on 16x8 rims with 4.5" backspacing. They had minor rubbing on the rear wheel pinch seam when driving off road at reduced tire pressure and heavily loaded. Some folks claim to have never experienced this and that trimming the pinch seam isn't necessary. My experience proves otherwise, and trimming is such an easy task it's silly to argue over whether to do it or not. Just do it. The backspacing of the tires (which you can essentially achieve with a set of wheel spacers) helped prevent rubbing on the sway bar disconnects when disconnected. It also dramatically improves the looks. At least I think so.

As for lift, I would discourage a 3.5" lift because it will create even more headaches with very slight improvements in performance (approach/departure angles and breakover increase ever so slightly). Many folks are confused, but bottom line is that larger tires provide the best improvement in off road performance, so it's wise to lift only enough to fit the new tires. I have a 2.5" lift. This not only lifts the Jeep, but also levels it (slightly taller in front to eliminate the rake). That was problematic for me because I run very (very!) heavy, so I found it necessary to opt for heavy duty springs over the rear axle.

Anyway, I hope you find the preceding instructive, and that you find the tires (tyres, but you know how us North Americans have butchered English, LOL) and solutions you seek. Here are the promised pictures ...

And if you're at all interested in seeing how that works, check out my videos ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yq51rHh8MY

Quick Reply: Tyre fitting