Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TX2 winch?

Old 05-03-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX2 winch?

Anybody have info or diagrams on these winches?

They were built by Tenson winches, who I believe is now Megawinch

I have one that has been lying around for many years, was used only once about 6 yrs ago. I would like to take it apart and clean it up because it is a little corroded.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

TX2 is the exact same as Megawinch...

4.6HP
2 Speeds
Low Gear: 468:1, High Gear: 133:1
22.375”L x 7.75”D (Base), 23.375”L x 11.25”D x 10”H (Overall)

That's all I could really find about them. I know a lot of hummers use MegaWinch because they have only a 9000 and a 12,000 lb winch.

How often will you use it is the question. Because the big name is of course Warn- but they're a rip off unless you're going to use the winch everytime you 4-wheel. And names like Ramsey, well they say they're made in the USA, but they're winches are actually made in China like the others - all they do is slap a Ramsey sticker on a Harbor Freight winch - which are also very cheap (300-500 for a 8000 or 10,000 lb winch).

So if you can fix up your Megawinch and know you'll barely use it, than do it because it's cheap. And if you use it once and it works, then awesome and it serves it's purpose.

With me, I'm going to buy a 9000 lb harbor freight winch for about 450. I barely plan on using it, but when I do have to, it'll do its job. You'll be fine with your winch, just fix it up or buy something cheap unless you plan on using your winch almost every other time you offroad.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Well I will probably end up buying a warn eventually, but if I can rebuild this one, It would be great for the moment. But I do not want to pull parts off and then be stuck with a bunch of parts and not be able to put back together due to a missing gasket, or lost parts, or even worst, wire it wrong and screw it up bad.

I am usually good at dismantling and rebuilding things, but in this case, I am looking for some sort of guidance since I have no clue what some parts are for.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

You know, if I was you I would sell your winch for what you can on ebay, or on a forum or to a parts shop, anywhere. And I would buy the Warn M8000 winch. It will easily pull your JK our of anything and it has a great reputation. I just looked into it (might get it too). It's only about $560 for a genuine Warn winch. Go on www.quadratec.com and check out the winches, you'll see it.

Quick Reply: TX2 winch?