Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Twisted D44 Carrier Housing on Daniel Trail

Old 07-03-2016, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never seen it happen personally but heard of it. When I had my front truss installed the fabricator welded my rear tubes. What happened to you is the only real "weakness" for a factory d44 housing, besides being semi float.

Last edited by Biginboca; 07-03-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I wonder about welding the tubes to the pumpkin but figured there was a reason yiu don't see it. Seems like some good insurance.
You'd have to heat the center section and weld like you would for the truss. I believe it's a high nickel rod that's preferred for the cast section.

I think your current axle is a waste, my 2 cents. Find a cheap take-off unit and swap things over. Before installation go ahead and heat the center section and weld it up. If you're so inclined then go with a truss to hold everything together.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You'd have to heat the center section and weld like you would for the truss. I believe it's a high nickel rod that's preferred for the cast section.

I think your current axle is a waste, my 2 cents. Find a cheap take-off unit and swap things over. Before installation go ahead and heat the center section and weld it up. If you're so inclined then go with a truss to hold everything together.
It all depends on what the center section is made out of, Is it cast steel? Or is it Nodular Iron like my Ford Dana 60 and most ford 9"? Nodular iron welds great. I have not messed with stock jeep stuff in so long that I can not remember. There ARE nodular iron dana 44's, but there are a lot of dana 44's and we all know that the JK 44 is very different.

but yea, once a housing has moved, there is no getting it back to its original alignment without putting it on a jig, and even then....

Last edited by TweakJK; 07-03-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The article is a little biased but it does say the housing is cast. I know it's an issue with doing trusses up front.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...de-or-replace/
Old 07-03-2016, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would find a take-off D44. I sold my set for less than a grand (44 and a 30).

I could have sworn I saw someone on here with a rear housing for sale (no guts). I can't believe it would be worth more than a couple hundred bucks empty.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ I found "TheGoat" selling one for $150. I'm trying to get up with him.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Moab 4x4 Outpost had something like this on their FB page during EJS a few years ago . IIRC they chained a long piece of metal, like a contruction girder to the pumpkin and lifted it with jacks. Rotated right back into place, welded it up, no worries.

The plug welds on the passenger side of mine cracked several years ago after running Rusty Nail. Showed it to my local welder and he suggested a couple welds between the housing & tube. This reall seems to be the only real weak spot on the JK's rear 44 housing. It ain't a 60, but it isn't a TJ 44 either.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave away my stock axles, the 30 and 44 arent worth shit. Get on craigslist and lowball people.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Wait a minute, you mean to tell me your 44 did that but your Dana 30 is still intact???
Love it.
That sucks buddy, shouldn't be too hard of a fix though. Just still out the spot welds, align it back up, weld the spots, and weld the tubes to the center section. Should be good to go.
Yeah I don't get it either I figured the Dirty 30 would have blown before the Rear. But in defense of the 44 I did have all the weight of the JK on the rear when I blew it.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Yeah I don't get it either I figured the Dirty 30 would have blown before the Rear. But in defense of the 44 I did have all the weight of the JK on the rear when I blew it.
Yeah. I know that spot. The front is very light when climbing there. Everything is on the rear.

Quick Reply: Twisted D44 Carrier Housing on Daniel Trail