Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Turning Makes a Loud SNAP sound

Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning Makes a Loud SNAP sound

Hey everyone.

I've had this problem that recently has gotten really annoying.

Everytime I turn the wheel either left or right more than 1/2 of the possible length I hear a mild to loud snapping sound and feel a bit of vibration on the floorboards.

It doesn't affect my steering but also doesn't sound good at all. I haven't had a chance to check it out with a friend watching as I turn the wheel but I figured I'd see if any of you all have experienced or heard something similar.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the track bar bolts for proper torque.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ball joints. I hope not. JKs aren't old enough to need new ball joints yet.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try this link:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/attention-all-clunky-steering-people-11927/
Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default snap

mine does the same but only when in low 4X4 withthe wheels locked in. and only started after the lift was installed. Not sure what it is......
Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Deep sky, do you still have the plastic air dam on? You are running 35s and the tire is hanging up on something. Look for wear on the surface of all parts the tire could rub while turning. What back space is the rim. stock rims with 35s are going to rub on something. I dont think the steering intermediate shaft or the collar in the fire wall are what you are describing. Look at the control arms or anti sway bar for rubbing. Good luck
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went outside to take a look at it with a buddy of mine that knows his shit and it turns out that the Skyjacker sway bar disco's are noisy as hell.

Greased them up real good we'll see if that quiets them down. Was silent with them off though.

Quick Reply: Turning Makes a Loud SNAP sound