Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Turbocharging my 3.8

Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks clean! Nice lookin install. I cant wait for your full feed back. I have considered a turbo, but I hate turbo lag. Im interested to see what your take is on the lag time. Its comparable to a RIPP Supercharger in price range. My main choice right now is a Sprintex Supercharger because of the increases in power/torque and the under $4k price tag. I am very eager to hear about your Prodigy turbo though.. Ive seen vids, but there is no real feedback from that.. Good job on the install by the way. Looks clean as hell!!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

I would recommend you do the grill mod though. That would suck to have a rock go through that intercooler!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
Looks clean! Nice lookin install. I cant wait for your full feed back. I have considered a turbo, but I hate turbo lag. Im interested to see what your take is on the lag time. Its comparable to a RIPP Supercharger in price range. My main choice right now is a Sprintex Supercharger because of the increases in power/torque and the under $4k price tag. I am very eager to hear about your Prodigy turbo though.. Ive seen vids, but there is no real feedback from that.. Good job on the install by the way. Looks clean as hell!!
Thanks!

I'll give you some feedback on the lag tomorrow afternoon but I'm guessing it will be minimal. Although you couldn't shoe horn any larger of a turbo in there this one isn't very large, so neither should be the lag.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Captaincalf

Thanks!

I'll give you some feedback on the lag tomorrow afternoon but I'm guessing it will be minimal. Although you couldn't shoe horn any larger of a turbo in there this one isn't very large, so neither should be the lag.
Lol, yeah it looks a little tight, but it looks good. Cant wait to hear back.. Have you fired it yet?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
JK Newbie

Dam that turbo looks good. Is that the oil line coming in from the top? Also, are you going to have to put any heat wrap on the exhaust side of the turbo?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hanzo
Dam that turbo looks good. Is that the oil line coming in from the top? Also, are you going to have to put any heat wrap on the exhaust side of the turbo?
Yes, that's the oil feed line going into top of turbo brg housing. I've gotten it pretty hot and no issues in the engine compartment yet, but I did order a turbo blanket just to be safe!

Last edited by Captaincalf; 04-02-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spell
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Added 12 psi tune this morning

I added the 12 psi tune to the ECU today w/o issue and did a short data logging run. Where I found out that I have an exhaust leak. Then I remembered that I still had 87 octane in the fuel tank, so I ran that out and will re-run the data logger this evening with 93 octane after I fix the exhaust leak.

The turbo seems to build pressure from about mid-2000 rpm up to 3000 where the power comes on strong and it takes off like a train all the way up to 5000 rpm. I haven't pushed it past 5000 yet, but it feels very strong from 3000 up

This kit seems to add power right where it was lacking...More details to come after I get that exhaust fixed
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Taking off like a train is not the best analogy..lol.. Glad to hear its running good. 2-3k actually isnt too bad of a spot to grab power.. Sounds like a pretty solid system off of a first run with minor issues.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Did you fix that leak yet? Well, did you? LOL. Congrats hopefully you will get it sorted out soon. Personally, I do not floor it from 1st-2nd, still shift under 3k, but once I hit 2nd, something happens to my right foot and it gets heavy. I am very happy with mine, so I just can't imagine having an additional 6lbs of boost.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jlb0125
Did you fix that leak yet? Well, did you? LOL. Congrats hopefully you will get it sorted out soon. Personally, I do not floor it from 1st-2nd, still shift under 3k, but once I hit 2nd, something happens to my right foot and it gets heavy. I am very happy with mine, so I just can't imagine having an additional 6lbs of boost.
When your foot gets heavy whats your rough guess on total spool up time. Say if youre cruisin 35-40 and punch it?