Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Turbocharging my 3.8

Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captaincalf
Prodigy requested my gearing for the new tune, but I have no idea what it is. I'll have to put it up on stands and turn it to see unless somebody out there can tell me if they have similer gearing to mine and what it is? In 6th gear (manual) at 60 mph I'm a solid 2000 RPM. Sound familiar?

It's gotta either be 3.21 or 3.73, right?
I subscribed to this thread -excitedly hoping to observe a JK enthusiast do some pretty heavy installation himself of a product I have recently seen come to market and wonder about- only to find 4 posts in that the OP that purchased such an intimidating upgrade does not have the build sheet for his JK or just know the gear ratio that his rig is running? I am not trying to be a jerk but, if you're gonna upgrade to this extent, knowing the base specs of your Jeep would seem just a wee bit vital to success....
maybe I need to read on further, as possibly i have misunderstood.........
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Captaincalf
I got the boosta pump installed and 4 of the head studs. Slow going but with any luck ill be done tomorrowAttachment 440018Attachment 440019Attachment 440020
ok...now I have more confidence in the OP's ability and I guess not every JK owner knows their rigs gearing (?) .....this is good stuff!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by j3ph3ry_j33p
ok...now I have more confidence in the OP's ability and I guess not every JK owner knows their rigs gearing (?) .....this is good stuff!
Thanks, I bought this rig used with 6000 miles on it from a second owner. It didn't have a build sheet or even an owners manual, but it was as clean as a whistle and after a test drive I liked the gearing so I bought it for a song compared to what a new one would have cost...One day I'm sure I'll pull the diff covers and count the R&P splines while in there to replace the diff oil.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

Go to youtube and look this up (the end of my post, its the title of the vid) Its easy and your Jeep isnt rollin just yet. Maybe a quick side project for you.

HOW TO: Find out your Gear Ratio Easy in less than 5 minutes
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
Go to youtube and look this up (the end of my post, its the title of the vid) Its easy and your Jeep isnt rollin just yet. Maybe a quick side project for you.

HOW TO: Find out your Gear Ratio Easy in less than 5 minutes
You can also go to Jeep's website under owners section and register the VIN and get the build sheet online in a few minutes.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
You can also go to Jeep's website under owners section and register the VIN and get the build sheet online in a few minutes.
Thanks guys!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202

It would be best to use the youtube method. He bought the Jeep used so who knows if the owner changed the gears or not
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
It would be best to use the youtube method. He bought the Jeep used so who knows if the owner changed the gears or not
Wheel spin test = 3.21 which will work nicely at the top end
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Looking forward to the final install review!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Install finished

I finished the install late so I'll load the new tune/calibration in the morning and do some road testing. Everything went on w/o any major issues except the high flow muffler. It wouldn't fit no matter what I did to it so ill have a muffler shop put my Jeep on a lift so they can modify the muffler so it will fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	441465Click image for larger version

Views:	420
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	441466Click image for larger version

Views:	427
Size:	70.8 KB