Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuning Fox SS

Old 10-10-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking out the nitrogen

Originally Posted by Ben Hedrick
The shock was pressurized from the factory like a nitro shock and it took me taking all of the nitrogen out to make it not push on the steering. It still works great it's just not pressurized to extend out and push on the steering.
How the heck did you take out the nitrogen?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKFreek
How the heck did you take out the nitrogen?
All you have to do is open up the valve...
Old 10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

To clear up the misunderstandings in several posts above here....

The nitrogen is not what provides the damping forces....hydraulic oil does that....so, the POINT is the the shock WILL work with the N2 charge drained.

The nitrogen's purpose is to put the oil under higher pressure, so as to prevent cavitation and help with heat dissapation.

So, drained of the N2, the shock will damp motion as its supposed to, but, will lose effectiveness if the steering moves it in/out too hard and fast for it to handle.

The compromise is simply to use a lower charge of N2...rather than all or none.

That way, you can pre-charge the shock enough to pressurize the oil enough to help prevent cavitation more, but not enough to actually use it as a hydraulic ram assist steering system, etc.

Last edited by TEEJ; 10-10-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
To clear up the misunderstandings in several posts above here....

The nitrogen is not what provides the damping forces....hydraulic oil does that....so, the POINT is the the shock WILL work with the N2 charge drained.

The nitrogen's purpose is to put the oil under higher pressure, so as to prevent cavitation and help with heat dissapation.

So, drained of the N2, the shock will damp motion as its supposed to, but, will lose effectiveness if the steering moves it in/out too hard and fast for it to handle.

The compromise is simply to use a lower charge of N2...rather than all or none.

That way, you can pre-charge the shock enough to pressurize the oil enough to help prevent cavitation more, but not enough to actually use it as a hydraulic ram assist steering system, etc.

Great explanation
Old 10-11-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jayrav
Hey Ben,

Correct me if I'm wrong, your tires are smaller than 35" and so weigh less and less surface contact then mine which would explain how the Fox SS was pushing you around. The first person to answer this thread uses a 35" tire and was able to keep stock settings of the Fox SS. No bleeding necessary. Which for me I hope is the case since I too use 35" tires.
Yes, mine tires are 33's so that could be part of the problem. I also think that FOX over charged the shock. A steering stablizer by nature should not push at all, it should just be a used as resistance against your steering.

Ben
Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Feedback

Originally Posted by wayoflife
there is no point. honestly, if you can still cancel your order, i would. the fox ss looks great but really is completely unnecessary and if anything - an expensive overkill.
Originally Posted by jayrav
I understand, but I really would like to see for my self(no disrespect). Once I have it installed and have driven it on and off road I promise to give you an objective non baised opinion. I'll set my emotions aside and give to you as it is. Whether I like it or not. Take it for what it is worth.

Thanks
Here is my objective feedback.

The steering feel more robust to a point where it is almost stiffer than before. My wife drove the JK for about 10min and her feedback was that the steering felt stiffer but not in a bad way. She still prefers her FJ though. Bumpsteer is nonexistent as compared to before where is was minimal. I must admit that there is no BIG difference between stock vs the Fox SS as it relates to the bumpsteer. The Fox SS looks great. Really improves the look of the JK. I have yet to try it offroad.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably purchase the Fox SS. I know that for the price you would probably expect to find a huge difference in performance, but it is still a significant upgrade in all aspects and the fact that it is tunable makes it better than the rest.

Word of caution: Don't try to bleed the Fox SS without a bleeder valve specific for nitrogen. Also before bleeding make sure you know of someone who can recharge the SS if you take too much nitrogen out.

Quick Reply: Tuning Fox SS