Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuning the 3.8L?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning the 3.8L?

Is it even possible, and if so with what? Just curious because I feel like tinkering with stuff; Porting the throttlebody, intake manifold, maybe even a cam. But if tuning isn't possible I guess there's no point.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Diablo and a Dyno
Old 08-06-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMO the only real tune for the 3.8 is a super chips. Then of course supercharger is good, too but much more expensive. And don't forget that if you use larger tires regearing has a major impact in performance.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orfanidisnikolaos
IMO the only real tune for the 3.8 is a super chips. Then of course supercharger is good, too but much more expensive. And don't forget that if you use larger tires regearing has a major impact in performance.
He is talking about tuning the computer based upon mods that he makes such as porting and a cam, not using an off the shelf "tune" and "tuner" from someone like superchips. As good as superchips is, you need a tuner like the Diablo to tune the mods the OPs is talking about. That's why RIPP, HESCO and the HEMI swappers use the Diablo.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by inverse121
He is talking about tuning the computer based upon mods that he makes such as porting and a cam, not using an off the shelf "tune" and "tuner" from someone like superchips. As good as superchips is, you need a tuner like the Diablo to tune the mods the OPs is talking about. That's why RIPP, HESCO and the HEMI swappers use the Diablo.
interesting..... i like to hear more debate on this.... superchips is leading in the jk arena
Old 08-06-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
interesting..... i like to hear more debate on this.... superchips is leading in the jk arena
Not a lot of debate about it.
From Superchips own forum, check out this link. They explain that their product does not do what the OP is looking for.
h ttps://www.superchips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3499

Again, there is a reason that RIPP and HESCO use the Diablo. The Diablo tuners allow you to take it to a dyno shop (that has the correct software) and make a custom tune based upon the individual engine's components.

I wish Superchips would lead the way and get a 2011 tune out, I'd be first in line to buy it.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Hypertech seems to be first. I wonder if the other guys reverse engineer hypertech's stuff.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CerOf
Hypertech seems to be first. I wonder if the other guys reverse engineer hypertech's stuff.
Hypertech is leader I would say in other vehicles but not jks. I had a hypertech and went to Superchips. Sc can eliminate tpms as hyper cannot. Many reasons why I switched.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf
Again, hypertech is a canned "tuner" or programmer. It is not a tool for adjusting the individual cells.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by inverse121
Not a lot of debate about it.
From Superchips own forum, check out this link. They explain that their product does not do what the OP is looking for.
h ttps://www.superchips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3499

Again, there is a reason that RIPP and HESCO use the Diablo. The Diablo tuners allow you to take it to a dyno shop (that has the correct software) and make a custom tune based upon the individual engine's components.

I wish Superchips would lead the way and get a 2011 tune out, I'd be first in line to buy it.
I used superchips for a year and so but now i'm using Diablo and arranging some custom tuning. superchip doesn't offer custom tuning unfortunately

Quick Reply: Tuning the 3.8L?