Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuners?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuners?

If you use a procal tuner and you recalibrate the speedometer and adjust it for bigger tires what does it actually do? Does it change shift points to make it like stock. Any input will be helpful. I don't have any knowledge on tuners. Going from 31s to 33. Don't want to use a tuner if down the road it will cause problems or make warranty issues. The jeep only has 3000 miles
Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
There is a ton of info on here, I personally use the superchips and love it. The speedo is correct now, my TPMS is turned down, I have my power boosted a bit too. They do work. I loaned it to a friend who was on 35s and he noticed a difference instantly.
How did a friend use it? I thought they were only able to be used on one jeep?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tracker
If you use a procal tuner and you recalibrate the speedometer and adjust it for bigger tires what does it actually do? Does it change shift points to make it like stock. Any input will be helpful. I don't have any knowledge on tuners. Going from 31s to 33. Don't want to use a tuner if down the road it will cause problems or make warranty issues. The jeep only has 3000 miles

Sorry I don't have any info on the procal you mentioned, but I have a Superchips Flaspaq & it does all that you are asking about & more.

Changes shift points, recalibrates spedo, engages lockers in 4Hi, reads trouble codes, gives you a few more hp, MPG & more.

I'm in no way affiliated with them, but I own one & would highly recommend one to someone in the market for that kind of device. I've been using mine for a year, been to the dealer a few times & no warranty issues whatsoever.

Best bang for the buck mod for the JK.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider

Sorry I don't have any info on the procal you mentioned, but I have a Superchips Flaspaq & it does all that you are asking about & more.

Changes shift points, recalibrates spedo, engages lockers in 4Hi, reads trouble codes, gives you a few more hp, MPG & more.

I'm in no way affiliated with them, but I own one & would highly recommend one to someone in the market for that kind of device. I've been using mine for a year, been to the dealer a few times & no warranty issues whatsoever.

Best bang for the buck mod for the JK.
Did the dealer know you used a tuner?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tracker
Did the dealer know you used a tuner?
I also use the the Superchips Flashpaq and really like it. Although I've heard good things about other products I think Flashpaq is the best bang for the buck.

The Dealer won't know you used a Tuner as long as you Flash it back to stock before going in for service. Hell, you can do it in the parking lot before you pull in.

The flashpaq calibrates the speedo to the tire size as an independent feature of the unit. Performance and shiftpoints are preprogramed depending on the performance settings of the unit. i don't believe the tire size directly effects the shift points.

Read up on the flashpaq and other units and you'll see that it's worth the money. If your Jeep is a daily driver you'll pay for it with just gas savings, that is if you can keep you foot of the pedal with the added power.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The ProCal is a programmer, not a tuner.
Superchips/Hypertech/Diablo/etc are tuners. These will adjust the factory tune to give performance and mpg gains.

The ProCal will not manually adjust shift points. It will recalibrate your computer for taller tires, which has the effect of putting your shift points back to stock.

Per a post from AEV, you do not need to 'return to stock' when you go in for dealer service. This is because it is a programmer, and does not affect the factory tune. Will the dealer know that you are using it? Yes, if they look for it. They will see that something has changed, but from everything I have read, they will not know what was done. Can this cause issues? Depends. AEV and Superchips both point to Moss/Mag and say no, but we all know that dealerships can and will cause problems if they feel like it. Talk to your dealerships and see what they say.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The ProCal is a programmer, not a tuner.
Superchips/Hypertech/Diablo/etc are tuners. These will adjust the factory tune to give performance and mpg gains.

The ProCal will not manually adjust shift points. It will recalibrate your computer for taller tires, which has the effect of putting your shift points back to stock.

Per a post from AEV, you do not need to 'return to stock' when you go in for dealer service. This is because it is a programmer, and does not affect the factory tune. Will the dealer know that you are using it? Yes, if they look for it. They will see that something has changed, but from everything I have read, they will not know what was done. Can this cause issues? Depends. AEV and Superchips both point to Moss/Mag and say no, but we all know that dealerships can and will cause problems if they feel like it. Talk to your dealerships and see what they say.
So with the procal, with 33s and the shift points back to stock, MPG should be the same as it was stock?

Quick Reply: Tuners?