Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tune?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune?

I have a '10 with the 3.8l and I recently installed an Airaid intake and it helped my gas mileage by 1-3 mpg. And then I installed a Magnaflow Comp Series Exhaust. And now my gas mileage is lower than before the intake was installed. Do I need to have it tuned or rip it off and put the stock exhaust back on?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. I didn't think it would have such a significant effect. My head hurts from the constant ricer-like drone, even after it has been broken in and mellowed out a bit, so it is definitely coming off. I did feel the extra little bit of HP it gave.

Last edited by camo_it_up; 09-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try putting a few tanks of gas through it first. The problem is usually a heavy right foot for the first tank.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rich6700
Try putting a few tanks of gas through it first. The problem is usually a heavy right foot for the first tank.
So true. I loved the way it sounded when I first added a CAI and Magnaflow exhaust. My foot became heavy as a result.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

A CAI and exhaust aren't gonna change your mpgs. It's your driving and possibly the weather changing.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

It's definitely the driver mod....heavy foot with mod syndrome. Watch how you're driving now, I'm sure your mileage will be the same if not somewhat better. Unless, you put straightpipes on a motor that needed some kind of back pressure.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

I know I am driving the same, I already got over the sound. I actually drive slower and ease on the gas because the sound gives me a headache. But driving in steel-toe combat boots every day might weight the pedal down too... I know the CAI helped cuz I tested it on a 100 mile trip I have taken several times at a fixed speed of 65mph, and took the same trip with the exhaust. I am keeping it for now because I like the immediate throttle response.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Did you consider that you may have had a tailwind that day? CAI's and cat backs don't add mpg's. It's a myth just like fancy spark plugs. If they did help Chrysler and everybody else would just slap on the parts you did and call it a day rather than spend millions on new technologies like DI, start/stop and pulse modulation. Enjoy your new parts for the sound and slight performance gain.

So how do you like the Airraid's sound? I just looked at the 2012 version and I'm truly disappointed, it's just like the stock box, with a smooth interior and a pipe without the noise cancelation. And it's $390!!!!!!!

It reused the factory air scoop, so they are claiming 8 HP from their filter and the unbaffled pipe. I think the pipe would be the only place to improve flow, so someone sell a $40 pipe already.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

It could have been tailwind. Too many factors to tell, a/c, wind, temp, etc.
I didnt notice too much of a sound with the airaid. I had the hood popped and I could here it sucking air, but only a little bit more engine 'growl' than before. And that could have been mod syndrome too.

Quick Reply: Tune?