Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tuffy security deck questions

Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuffy security deck questions

The deck sounds great, but I have a few quesitions for those that have one, and especially anyone who also has experience with the flexitrunk. I currently have a flexitrunk. While there are somethings I love about the flexitrunk like the ability to quickly remove the top to put large items in back, it seems a bit flemsy compared to teh tuffy.

First, how ,much room is there between the front of teh tuffy and the back seats? With the Flexitrunk I can just get myhand in there to hook up the tether for a child seat. I also find the inch or so of space perfect to slide the back and side windows into.

I know the tuffy drains to the front. I assume that means any water just goes under the back seats? Also, when It does get wet in back, how do you get teh carpet out to dry it (problem with the flexitrunk too) .

It looks like you can lift the top up without removing it if you need to haul something too big to fit under it. True? Does the softtop down interfere? I often will pick up larger items while out like at homedepot and with the flexitruck I can just remove the top pieces and slide them in the front of teh trunk. Can you just tilt up the top on the tuffy to fit larger items. Since the tuffy top is one big piece, I assume there would be no place to put it if you removed it entirely.

Finally, anyone know how the interior size of the tuffy compares to teh flexitrunk? I'm guessing they are nearly identical.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put one in last week. The top can come out without tools, same with the piece flat up against the seats. So you can still haul longer stuff by folding down the seats. I haven't tried the deck with the soft top yet (it's been hanging in the garage for a couple months now). I'll go out later and see if the top panel can slide somewhere while off, I'll get you some pics too.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Some top options, maybe .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Security Deck3..jpg
Views:	231
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	70892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Security Deck2..jpg
Views:	224
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	70893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Security Deck1..jpg
Views:	226
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	70894  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wtowen
First, how ,much room is there between the front of teh tuffy and the back seats? With the Flexitrunk I can just get myhand in there to hook up the tether for a child seat. I also find the inch or so of space perfect to slide the back and side windows into.
Don't think you are going to get that much room. I had to trim the top rails to keep from digging into the back seat. With the rails trimmed, there's about 1-2" of room all the way down.

I know the tuffy drains to the front. I assume that means any water just goes under the back seats? Also, when It does get wet in back, how do you get teh carpet out to dry it (problem with the flexitrunk too) .
Where exactly do you think the water "drains" when you have the top down? Same place for the Security Deck. It just gets a little concentrated where the drain holes are.

It looks like you can lift the top up without removing it if you need to haul something too big to fit under it. True?
Yup. The top just lifts up and out with little effort. Remove 4 thumb screws and you get the whole back open pretty much like it wasn't there.

Does the softtop down interfere? I often will pick up larger items while out like at homedepot and with the flexitruck I can just remove the top pieces and slide them in the front of teh trunk. Can you just tilt up the top on the tuffy to fit larger items. Since the tuffy top is one big piece, I assume there would be no place to put it if you removed it entirely.
Best left at home before you need to worry about where to store it. Much like removing the doors.

Finally, anyone know how the interior size of the tuffy compares to teh flexitrunk? I'm guessing they are nearly identical.
Don't really know about the flexitrunk. I do know that there's a lot more storage options with the Security Deck since you can pack the "trunk" to the hilt and still pile stuff on the cover. I like the security of the cover and the fact that it keeps my tools and other crap from floating around off road.

Thanks
You are welcome.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

with regard to the child seat:

to attach the child seat tether, i just pull the back seat forward a little bit, reached down and clipped it onto the anchor, pushed the seat back into the locked position and tightened down the tether strap (mine is at the top back of the child seat). to undo, simply loosen the tether strap, pull the back seat forward a little bit, reach down and unclip from anchor.

a minute or two more than if you didn't have the tuffy security enclosure, but by no means a hassle or reason to not have the enclosure.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

While installing mine I ditched the pathetic rubber rivnuts. Went to my local bolt company and got some regular alloy rivnuts. I then removed the RR tail light assembly and bolted the passenger side panel to the tub.

This is a must have for securing items you want to keep while running a soft top or no top.

I have the security drawer under the driver seat. Convenient place to secure my registrations, manuels, wallet, pistol, etc. Out of sight and secure. I used a Tuffy bolt lock to add a little more security.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Another tuffy security deck enclosure question

On the 2dr after I install the secuity deck enclosure can I leave the side attached and remove the top deck and front panel for the back seat to fit between the sides if needed? I want to be able put the rear seat in and out without having to uninstall the whole secuity deck enclosure.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll bump this slightly old thread to add my question...

Mine arrived yesterday (via Northridge, thanks David) and I installed it tonight.

It was packed well, arrived in great shape, and was pretty easy to install in my 4dr.

My question is this:

The rear seat nuts are accessible from outside the security deck. Those seem to provide the majority of the attachment strength.

What's to stop somebody from tilting the seats forward and undoing the 18mm nut, then just prying the whole think up?

I would think you'd have leverage to lift it enough to get almost anything out.

Did I do something wrong on the install?

Or are the rest of the mounting points strong enough to resist prying it up with the seat nuts removed?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by torpex77
My question is this:

The rear seat nuts are accessible from outside the security deck. Those seem to provide the majority of the attachment strength.

What's to stop somebody from tilting the seats forward and undoing the 18mm nut, then just prying the whole think up?

I would think you'd have leverage to lift it enough to get almost anything out.

Did I do something wrong on the install?

Or are the rest of the mounting points strong enough to resist prying it up with the seat nuts removed?
You know, you are right! However, anyone going through that level of trouble probably already has your tires and doors too. If you put on locking lug nuts or one of those door anti-removal locks, then you should consider at least one seat nut that either is welded or keyed.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm considering the security deck and would like to see pictures of the soft top down on the deck to see how much higher it sits. I know it would be best to remove the soft top completely but I'm not ready to do that just yet.

Also, is there enough space for soft top windows to fit inside the deck?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: tuffy security deck questions