Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tuffy security deck question

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your opinion, could a 2011 deck safely support the weight of a German Shepherd? 80lbs? Consistently? For hours? Days?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robsmst
In your opinion, could a 2011 deck safely support the weight of a German Shepherd? 80lbs? Consistently? For hours? Days?

Thanks
IMO... No. I'll take some pics this afternoon of where the weight is supported. I've got about 40 lbs on mine at all times. I did a trip from Iowa to Mass with at least 80 lbs on it. I believe it would easily support 80 lbs of stationary load for extended periods, but I am not sure about a "shifting" load. The deck is not a rigid as I had thought it would be. It is very sturdy, but I did not expect it to have as much flex and twist as it does. You might be able to make some enhancements to increases rigidity.

Further, your 80 lbs shepherd would be bunched up and in crawl mode. My 15 lbs dog bumps his head on the sound bar light turning it on regularly when riding on the deck.

I don't want to sound as if I am a harsh critic of this product. It serves me very well other than it's rattles that I have eliminated with friction tape. IMO, they rushed this to market and it's just not as good as the pre 2011 kit.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Not harsh just honest which is what this forum is all about. Appreciate the info!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are the additional photos I promised.

I think an 80 lbs dog is going to be cramped on top, but if he/she sleeps on the road, it may not be a big deal.

This is a top shot of the rear support of the 2011 deck

This is a bottom shot of the rear support of the 2011 deck

My concern would be if you put say 80 lbs of dog energy into the support area, there isnt much of a lip and the metal deck isn't really thick either.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the rear support when the tailgate is open, but when the tailgate is closes it also carries the weight of the deck.

But even with that considered I would not trust it to hold an 80lb dog either...
Old 06-19-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

I really appreciate the feedback. I will probably have to go with no security deck and a crate instead.

Quick Reply: tuffy security deck question