Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuffy Security Deck quality

Old 07-19-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tuffy Security Deck quality

I received my Tuffy Security Deck after a pretty long wait and took to the install immediately. The instructions were kind of jumbled and included steps that didn't need to be done (some of the weather stripping) and left out some that did (remove the steel shipping protectors.) Nothing too dramatic but not very clean. That said, I had some quality issues. First one of the hex screws holding the steel deck lid shipping protector on was severely cross threaded. It was a bear to remove and was accompanied by most of the separated threads once fully extracted. I spent 20 minutes trying to coax a new screw in before getting smart and running a grade 8 I had in from the rear to ream out the threads. After this and another 5 minutes of coaxing I got the proper bolt and washer setup in but it is not exactly confidence inspiring. I had problems with the top two threads on the deck piece that sits flush to the rear seats and is attached by knurled knob bolts. The bottom two were fine but the top two really didn't want to thread in. I got them to go but it took a channel lock in places and I am afraid if I remove this panel I may not get it back in.

Has anyone else received one and seen issues like this? I have had good luck with Tuffy in the past but this one hasn't been impressive. I have an email out to them to see what they have to say.

Quick Reply: Tuffy Security Deck quality