Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuffy lock problem - Help!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuffy lock problem - Help!

I just received a Tuffy central console for my JK. It loooks like it made it through the mail O.K. but the button lock seems to be jammed. I have put the key in and it has about 120 degrees of motion. When the key is fully turned one way, if I depress the button then I can rotate the key a further 60 degrees - but nothing opens.

I had a look underneath (the console's not mounted yet) and wiggled the key but no luck - and I couldn't figure if there is a way to trip the lock from the inside so I can see what is going wrong.

Does anyone have any hints or ideas on how I might get this open. I called Tuffy but they're out for the weekend and I was kinda hoping to get this installed today.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was really hard to open at first. I had to really tug on it. If that's not it then it sounds like the lock was installed upside down. I don't know the fix for that.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured it out after a while - I'll post some pictures a bit later but the short version is that bthe lock tab was 180- degrees out and so wasn't actuating the lock leer. I looked at it from underneath using a torch and a mirror and spotted the spring that holds the actuation arm under tension and managed to work out how to trigger the arm manually from underneath. Once I had the lid open it was easy enough to see what was causign the problem and simply swap it around.

Thanks,

Steve

Quick Reply: Tuffy lock problem - Help!