Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuffy center console...

Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read on another thread that it's an inch or so taller.
Search Tuffy to confirm.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Height

It sits about 1 inch higher than the factory armrest. No official measurement until I get home. You have to have the outer shell of the console to bolt the insert to. You don't have to remove the front seats to install, just slide it back or forward to get at the bolts. You do have to drill if you want to use the bolts that hold it to the floor. (Most secure way).

As far as the rep knew, they aren't making a 2 door rear security drawer yet. I need my rear seat sometimes, so I can't put it in. It is a nice solid box though.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
AFAIK it is a 2dr./4dr. model. It is not a replacement console, it is an insert for the factory console.

I to am interested to know if it is taller than the factory rest (the thing is to short for me too)
ahhh so Im screwed either way.. Ill live with my locking glove box :sulk:
Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GROC
They are making a small box for the under floor storage area. I haven't seen one of those yet!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by armycop
They are making a small box for the under floor storage area. I haven't seen one of those yet!
that would be nice. I was looking at that locking deal Mopar has for the trunk area for my next purchase. I wonder how much of a PITA it is to remove for when you put the back seat down though
Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

that would be nice. I was looking at that locking deal Mopar has for the trunk area for my next purchase. I wonder how much of a PITA it is to remove for when you put the back seat down though
Think it would be great if someone made a steel one that just bolted/screwed in the back area,, ( with the back seats in the up position) so you could stow stuff like golf clubs or stuff about that big and feel semi secured.. Bestop makes an "instatrunk" that works for the Jk 2 door, but not the 4 door.. I believe I am going to one of my buddies and have a peice of steel cut to fit.. Much cheaper than Mopar.. Bestop etc.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by captsam54
Think it would be great if someone made a steel one that just bolted/screwed in the back area,, ( with the back seats in the up position) so you could stow stuff like golf clubs or stuff about that big and feel semi secured.. Bestop makes an "instatrunk" that works for the Jk 2 door, but not the 4 door.. I believe I am going to one of my buddies and have a peice of steel cut to fit.. Much cheaper than Mopar.. Bestop etc.
I Think I sw the bestop one too... I dont remember.

a box like that would be really nice. I would just lke something other then my glove box to lock since I dont have a console in mine. I dont leave anything of value in my jeep anyways but if I went to the store or something.. just some added security
Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Well you can get the one that does lock up your extra stowage bin in the back.. for now..

It would be interesting to have someone mod you one of those GI rocket cans to go in place of the puny back stowage spot.. (providing you've already done the muffler mod)
Old 05-08-2007, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by captsam54
Think it would be great if someone made a steel one that just bolted/screwed in the back area,, ( with the back seats in the up position) so you could stow stuff like golf clubs or stuff about that big and feel semi secured.. .
I called Tuffy and suggested that they offer just the housing for their security drawer. They took note of my suggestion.

I'd buy something like that if I could remove it easily from the inside. Seems like that would be simple to do with long bolts
and double nuts on top. I hate to order w/ the drawer when I won't use it. Tuffy can you hear me?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Tuffy is going to make a complete console that will fit in JKs that did not come with a factory console at all. No definite release dates yet, but they are on the list of new products.

Quick Reply: Tuffy center console...