Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tuff Stuff or ACE rails

Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ace are not what everbody makes them out to be. If you actually use them as rock rails they will make contact with the pinch seam and bend it. If you want a step buy em, rock rails buy something that mounts to the frame.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:53 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rexicon
The ace are not what everbody makes them out to be. If you actually use them as rock rails they will make contact with the pinch seam and bend it. If you want a step buy em, rock rails buy something that mounts to the frame.
Agree, I'd only use the Ace rails if I had the Rubicon bars there for it to contact and save the body. That said, I do want a set to keep be further off the rocks.. had one lightly tag my door last time out.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rexicon
Yup, that's why I went cheap with the Tuff Stuff. They are a great step for my 2 year old daughter and I plan on putting a used set of Rubi rails to keep them from hitting the body in the future.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuff Stuff

Originally Posted by armycop
I bought the Tuff Stuff sliders mainly because they were $116 cheaper with shipping added to the total (169+34 shipping vs ACE 245+74 shipping). I hit a stump pretty hard with my Tuff Stuff rails a few weeks ago, and there was not a scratch or bend. The powder coating is good, and the quality is decent too.

When I got the sliders, I actually prefer the mounting method of the 2 door Tuff Stuff rails vs the ACE. The Tuff Stuff mounts using the 2 studs/nuts on each side of the body mount at the front and rear. The ACE you have to remove the body mount bolt itself and grind the big washer down. To me, if you hit something hard, the ACE will snap off the actual body mount bolt head and you are stuck with the rest of the bolt stuck in the body mount. If you break off the 4 studs next to the body mount, they are easliy replaceable, you can tac weld new ones in.

The 4-door Tuff Stuff rails are mounted directly to the frame, I believe you have to drill the holes in the frame. I am not sure about the ACE.
Thanks for the review its hard to find anyone that is running these . I will be ordering them especially since they will fit with my Rubi rails
Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I would not hesitate to go with ACE again in a heartbeat. Besides the 3 mounting points for my 4 door, and ability to use them in conjunction with the Rubi Rails, I believe you get a lifetime warranty with ACE versus a 3 Yr on Tuff Stuff. Plus I can call and talk to Adam directly at ACE if I have a question or problem. And as for using them as "real" rock rails, been there done that and they worked like a champ!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orangeav
I would not hesitate to go with ACE again in a heartbeat. Besides the 3 mounting points for my 4 door, and ability to use them in conjunction with the Rubi Rails, I believe you get a lifetime warranty with ACE versus a 3 Yr on Tuff Stuff. Plus I can call and talk to Adam directly at ACE if I have a question or problem. And as for using them as "real" rock rails, been there done that and they worked like a champ!!!
Yes, but if you read the fine print with the warranty, YOU pay shipping both ways if you return them. For us on the West coast this will easily be $150 or more. Rails are pretty simple, it would cost a lot less to take mine to a welding shop locally than pay 2 ways of shipping. If you live near them then ACE may be a good deal. The Tuff Stuff use the same diameter and thickness of tubing. I just prefer the mounts on the 2 door Tuff Stuff rails.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would love to see pics of the Ace rails over the stock Rubi rails if you have them
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used my ACE as rock rails and they have worked quite well. No complaints here.

edit: took another look at the sliders and confirmed that they DID hit the pinch seam. That certainly surprised me! Guess I should have gone with the LOD's.

Last edited by pcmasten; 11-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pauly_jk
Not sure the price on tuff stuff but Ace are decent priced, very well made, strong as can be, great powder coating, and well life time warranty does not help......
I run the ACE and agree with Pauly.

Quick Reply: Tuff Stuff or ACE rails