Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Plastic Vs Tube Fenders
Plastic
53.52%
Tube
19.72%
Stock
23.94%
Other
2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Tube vs Plastic fenders

Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Standard
I have read a few places about the tub sheet metal and have to agree with you on that one. Did you use the Nut Serts for the corners? I think I might go with Corners and Plastic fenders.
Yes I used the AEV supplied nutserts. They are hands-down better than rivets some other kits call for. Stepping up through 3 drill sizes was kind of a pain, and on the two holes I didn't I bent the s*** out of the tub metal. If you're even thinking of metal flares corners are a necessity.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cut the factory flares. They look nice and you can make them exactly how you like. Oh and it's FREE!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HardcoreHeath
Cut the factory flares. They look nice and you can make them exactly how you like. Oh and it's FREE!
+1 Do it right and it looks good. If you don't like how it looks then you can drop the money.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Start with a somewhat conservative cut and you can trim them more if you mess up or don't like them. We used a high speed body air saw. It moves so fast that it doesn't shake the fender while you cut like a jig or reciprocating saw can.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

I have read the posts and like the idea of cutting the stock fenders I read up on it on Project-JK, and the aftermarket ones like Bushwhacker. Thanks for all of the ideas and info guys!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Pics of stock flares cut?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

I voted for stock, but I say cut em. You get so much more room and you get it for free. Here's a few pics I just went out and snapped (sorry for the driveway shots)
Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am running the smittybuilt flat flares. They are pretty inexpensive and i love the look. I cut my stock flares and didn't like how they seem to slope downwards. I will try and post pics when i get home.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Each have their pros and cons. For the Tube my assumption is you are talking RR, PS ORE Metal tube fenders. And plastic I assume you mean Bushwacker, Xenon, Rugged Ridge.

For me there's nothing to compare to the looks of the tube fenders. Really look awesome and I'd go with them if I didn't do so much rock krawling. The only way I'd run them is to go with the full fender replacement with flare like the Overkill or ORE, however, for me the weight is something I don't want. So for us it's chopped OEM's but recently we got some Bushwackers from a friend so were going to give them a try. As for the OEM's they are great, ripped them off and no problems and without doing damage to the body. Also, had a friend flop her jeep and landing right on the fenders. No problems they were back to their original shape the next morning and with the addition of a few new fender clips it looked as though nothing ever happened. Not sure what the tube fenders would have done to the body but thinking it wouldn't be great
Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Personally I like the look of the stock fenders flares, but thats just me.

Quick Reply: Tube vs Plastic fenders