Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Plastic Vs Tube Fenders
Plastic
53.52%
Tube
19.72%
Stock
23.94%
Other
2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Tube vs Plastic fenders

Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tube vs Plastic fenders

I have been looking around this forum for information on fenders, unless i have missed something i cant find it.

Okay so what I am looking for is the benefits of either one, IE, plastic fenders are good cause they take a bump and reform, of they are hit they are less likely to damage the body.

What have you guys ran into problem wise out wheeling with your fenders?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Plastic (Bushwackers, Xenons, Oem) because in the event of a major oops on the trail, preventing you to drive a plastic set can be torn off with creative measures rather than having the absolute need of wrenches and ratchets. That is of course they (Tube Fenders) are not mangled to the point that such said bolts are no longer accessable.

After putting on my Bushwackers I can say they are stronger than oem, and did so without adding any extra weight.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Bushwacker flat flares have taken some major shots without any damage to the flares or the tub. Can't say the same thing for my buddy's JK with tube fenders. The metal tube fenders just transmit a good bashing right to the tub. Flares are fine but his tub is f'd.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

I'm in the plastic/stock corner. My stock ones have taken quite a few knocks from trees on the trail. They deform and pop right back, with a few scratches. I'll milk these stock ones for all they're worth, can't really justify spending $500 on another set of plastics to do the same thing, even if they look nicer.

Metal looks great and is durable but like the above post said, the tub body is the issue. After installing my AEV corners I realized a majority of the tub sheet steel around the wheel wells is ~1/16th" thick and will deform from a pinky poke-there's no reinforcement braces in there (that I can find).
Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by runit3
I'm in the plastic/stock corner. My stock ones have taken quite a few knocks from trees on the trail. They deform and pop right back, with a few scratches. I'll milk these stock ones for all they're worth, can't really justify spending $500 on another set of plastics to do the same thing, even if they look nicer.

Metal looks great and is durable but like the above post said, the tub body is the issue. After installing my AEV corners I realized a majority of the tub sheet steel around the wheel wells is ~1/16th" thick and will deform from a pinky poke-there's no reinforcement braces in there (that I can find).
I have read a few places about the tub sheet metal and have to agree with you on that one. Did you use the Nut Serts for the corners? I think I might go with Corners and Plastic fenders.

These are the reply's I am looking for! I do like the look of the Tube/metal fenders but leaning to after market plastics.

Last edited by Standard; 10-18-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The bushwackers actually look fairly tube fender ish as well. I looove mine, and they are quite strongly affixed for adhesive strips and little screws.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I voted stock, my plan is to run the chopped stock flares until they break then replace them with bushwacker flats
Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tube Fenders

Take a look at Metal Cloaks fenders you can remove those fenders and fitting 37's with no lift is always a plus!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

I have plastic. Would rather tear a plastic one off that a metal one with part of the jeep connected to it
Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
I'd distinguish the difference between a flare and a fender.

Bushwacker, Xenon, PJ, PS, RR, and others are flares, not fenders.

Off Road Evolution and Overkill Engineering are fenders that can include flares--and they are heavy.

For flares, I voted a preference of plastic/polyurethane.

For a full replacement fender, I'd vote an aluminum design, but it would be too expensive.
Good points that I didn't even think about!

Quick Reply: Tube vs Plastic fenders