Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tube fenders or plastic/poly flat fenders?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my own anectode. I lightly warped my driver quarter panel when I rubbed the stock, untrimmed fender flare against a rock.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXROCK
Can you share some pictures of the frame bracing? Would be interesting to see how it's set up. If it's a back plate with a bar that goes down to the frame then I wouldn't call it a brace more than a reinforced plate to ensure the sheet metal doesn't bend (at least where the reinforced back plate and fender connect).

As it is with most metal fenders (aluminum or steel), they are designed to bolt to the OEM plastic fender mounting tab as well as over 10 bolting positions where the OEM plastic clips for the plastic fenders use to be. I have personally stood on my fenders and shook my jeep with 180lbs of body weight on them and are solid...I have used my fenders as a leverage point going around some tight tree turns (had to be done) and no issues whatsoever. As Jersey Devil mentioned, NOTHING is ever FULLY indestructable. If you are hit hard enough or roll your jeep hard enough you are still going to suffer some damage.....replacement metal fenders will help minimalize damage though like any other armor you add to your jeep.
Here's Poison Spyder's video on their flares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKePKvZ7_w8

Last edited by ShutterBug; 01-02-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I was looking for! Thanks. I'm prob gonna get the alum poison spider ones
Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Look on youtube for Metalcloak's video.....if I remember right they've got some hooligan jumping on the flare without issue.

Quick Reply: Tube fenders or plastic/poly flat fenders?