Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tube fenders or plastic/poly flat fenders?

Old 12-31-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5110
Anyone else know which fenders brace to the frame and not the body?

None brace to the frame....they all either rivnut into the body or bolt through the body with lock nuts. But you can get corner guards for the rear that are full length for the rear up to the passenger doors. Or-Fab and AEV manufacture steel corner guards to protect the rear quarter panels of the tub.

Last edited by TXROCK; 12-31-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXROCK

None brace to the frame....they all either rivnut into the body or bolt through the body with lock nuts. But you can get corner guards for the rear that are full length for the rear up to the passenger doors. Or-Fab and AEV manufacture steel corner guards to protect the rear quarter panels of the tub.
So will they all be susceptible to damaging the body??
Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So will they all be susceptible to damaging the body??
No, every situation is different, I got bushwacker flat flares and love them. I've hit them on trees too. Bottom line is the Titanic theory.... nothing is indestructible. U hit metal flares hard enough they'll give, it'll take a lot more to break the metal one tho.... I want poison spyder flares myself
Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else know which fenders brace to the frame and not the body?
Poison Spider Crusher flares are braced to the frame. They come with brackets that bolt to the frame and the flares bolt to the brackets. I wish I could afford them, they'd be on my JK by now. Maybe some day.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree. As noted above, the Crusher flares brace to the frame. I can confirm that since they are sitting in my garage. I also have the MetalCloak Overline fenders. True, the rear uses the armor plate (the body won't be bending), but the front are braced to the frame. Either of those sets will not result in impact damage to the sheet metal.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, that's what I was looking for! What about the genright alum ones??
Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated above they mount to subframe or heavier core support and can use either plate to do so or little tube spacers the bolts go through....

If they don't then the body will bend and dent EASILY....without them they are worthless for support.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

MCE flatties
Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I have to disagree. As noted above, the Crusher flares brace to the frame. I can confirm that since they are sitting in my garage. I also have the MetalCloak Overline fenders. True, the rear uses the armor plate (the body won't be bending), but the front are braced to the frame. Either of those sets will not result in impact damage to the sheet metal.

Can you share some pictures of the frame bracing? Would be interesting to see how it's set up. If it's a back plate with a bar that goes down to the frame then I wouldn't call it a brace more than a reinforced plate to ensure the sheet metal doesn't bend (at least where the reinforced back plate and fender connect).

As it is with most metal fenders (aluminum or steel), they are designed to bolt to the OEM plastic fender mounting tab as well as over 10 bolting positions where the OEM plastic clips for the plastic fenders use to be. I have personally stood on my fenders and shook my jeep with 180lbs of body weight on them and are solid...I have used my fenders as a leverage point going around some tight tree turns (had to be done) and no issues whatsoever. As Jersey Devil mentioned, NOTHING is ever FULLY indestructable. If you are hit hard enough or roll your jeep hard enough you are still going to suffer some damage.....replacement metal fenders will help minimalize damage though like any other armor you add to your jeep.

Last edited by TXROCK; 01-01-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you share some pictures of the frame bracing? Would be interesting to see how it's set up. If it's a back plate with a bar that goes down to the frame then I wouldn't call it a brace more than a reinforced plate to ensure the sheet metal doesn't bend (at least where the reinforced back plate and fender connect).

As it is with most metal fenders (aluminum or steel), they are designed to bolt to the OEM plastic fender mounting tab as well as over 10 bolting positions where the OEM plastic clips for the plastic fenders use to be. I have personally stood on my fenders and shook my jeep with 180lbs of body weight on them and are solid...I have used my fenders as a leverage point going around some tight tree turns (had to be done) and no issues whatsoever. As Jersey Devil mentioned, NOTHING is ever FULLY indestructable. If you are hit hard enough or roll your jeep hard enough you are still going to suffer some damage.....replacement metal fenders will help minimalize damage though like any other armor you add to your jeep.
The PSC feel 100x stronger and sturdier than the bushwackers. Just my .02

Rear Brackets

Last edited by JKJon; 01-01-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Tube fenders or plastic/poly flat fenders?