Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tube fender options ?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blockrockin
yeah i know what you mean about the weight , my rig is getting pretty weighed down , i think i read somewhere that the river raider flares are 18 pounds each . not to bad.
freaking sheesh...are you serious??? well round off there goes 80 more lbs
Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering why people are looking at tube fenders? I understand you can clear a slightly larger tire with less lift, but the plastic fenders cost about $50 to replace it they get damaged and they are also designed to break before causing any body damage. I am not saying I don't like the looks or idea of a tube fender, or trying to bash them or this thread in any way, but I was wondering why people are looking to them and maybe some enlightenment on the subject.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:46 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I'm surpised that these haven't been posted up yet;

LINK TO THREAD

It think they need to be painted, but,... VERY NICE

Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I was wondering why people are looking at tube fenders? I understand you can clear a slightly larger tire with less lift, but the plastic fenders cost about $50 to replace it they get damaged and they are also designed to break before causing any body damage. I am not saying I don't like the looks or idea of a tube fender, or trying to bash them or this thread in any way, but I was wondering why people are looking to them and maybe some enlightenment on the subject.
Well for me it wasn't some sun-moon-&-stars lined up "oh wow tube fenders are in" kinda thing, it was more for the flex, tire clearance, I like the way they look, different from others, inexpensive to replace, stockers to replace are not $50 bucks (Chrysler Parts quoted me $185 I believe each). The biggest thing for me was the stock fenders had a goofy look where the stubby Shrock bumper and, grill and flares tied-in, the Xenon narrow flares made everything flow together. I like functionallity and good looks when I mod my rig, just how I am
Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Woods
I'm surpised that these haven't been posted up yet;

LINK TO THREAD

It think they need to be painted, but,... VERY NICE
Indeed nice rig, love the flush mount LED in the rear, hate the drilling into body panels, definitely needs paint, wish they were narrower flares, but nice nonetheless.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

These Fenders are River Raider’s and they are great. Like I have said in the past, Ken from River raider convinced me to do Gatorhyde and I wasn't sure about it but after couple weekends out on the trail I really like the finish. It holds up very well and after touch up paint you can’t even tell where I hit the tree and the rock.
My suggestion if you do gator, line-x, or any texture finish do not do color match. It is very very hard to match color because of the texture. Also keep in mind the texture finishes will add more space and the fenders might not line up correctly. The fenders fit perfectly bare metal and when Ken installed the fenders we had to make adjustments because of the Gator finish.
The pictures does not do justas and people from the NOVA jeep show commented that it looks lot better in person then the pictures.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

My 02. I use the Xenon wide fenders. If I drag one off it does not cause body damage as the steel ones do. I am not knocking the steel fenders, they are great. I just see less "carnage" with the "break away" ones.

Sam
Old 05-21-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

i do really love the off road evolution ones ,i would leave them black, anyway i sent a email to them and they said they where 2,000 bucks for them so ....
Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

I can't decide which ones to get either!

One thing I do know is that all you guys who installed them need to black out inside the fender wells even if you just use a can of flat black spray paint would look better than the body color under there!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by putnam dan
The tear away ones offer absolutly no protection in the case of a slight sideways roll in or swipe against an obstacle. Steel ones allow you to rest weight against them. The ORE should replace the panels for that price - essentially all that extra sheet is just a mounting point.
Ok I agree with you about the tear aways as you call them but here's something you may want to reconsider. Just a mounting point? How about the protection they add such as built in corner gaurds? Some folks post how they rip off their fenders on a trail, if you rip off the ORE fenders you probably deserve it cuz you're not a good driver IMO. The PJ fenders were by far the best steel ones out until Mel developed these. They are not only sturdy but purdy that was for all you hillbillies that hit your fenders on trees . IMO tube fenders are made for rock crawling not mudhole drivers!

Quick Reply: tube fender options ?