Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tub mounted 37 in a 2 door??

Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tub mounted 37 in a 2 door??

I was wondering if anyone has tub mounted a 37" spare in a 2 door? I dont have the money to buy a bumper/carrier right now but dont want to run without a spare. Looks like the sub box would have to be relocated, anyone done this? I was thinking of building a pre runner type frame to mount it back there. Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

If you take the rear seat out, you have plenty of room!

(This is only a 33.5" tire, but...you get the idea. Ran this way all last summer.)

Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

I was thinking about doing something similar to this when I was bumping up to bigger tires and didn't have the extra funds for a new rear bumper/tire carrier, but a lot of issues made me choose another direction...

For starters, a 37" tire is a big tire to begin with, mind you trying to shove it in the back of a 2 door. I barely fit mine in the rear standing up, forget laying flat down. Then you have to worry about it bouncing/shifting all over (or rig some sort of strap-down system - yet another project). Also have to worry about if you don't properly secure/lock it down, someone stealing a $350-$450 tire. Yea, it'll be a pain to get out of the jeep being in the back, etc....but if someone wants to take it, they will - especially when it's not on a tire carrier with lockable lugnuts and a tire lock or what have you. Then, the other issue - the inside of your jeep will smell like RUBBER BIG TIME. When the tire is in there in the baking heat, no windows open, etc.... it'll be overbearing. My buddy had his spare tire in his 4-Runner and let me tell you, on summer days - my clothes started to smell like tire.

Even if you were to build a frame to angle it, or lift it up more...it's again a big tire and isn't going to be as easy as you think. Just my opinion...
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warrior Products 201 - Warrior Products In Bed Spare Tire Carrier for Wheels with 5 or 6 Lugs - Quadratec

the question is will it fit in your jeep.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

Oh snap.....there ya go. Didn't know they made such a thing. Learn something new every day. It says it holds up to a 44", but again - it's if it'll fit in the back. Plus, you lose all your cargo area anddddd for something thats close to $400, you can spend a little more on an actual tire carrier and call it a day.

I don't know, obviously it's your jeep and your money and your call....to me, I don't see a point in mounting a tire inside the jeep anymore.... we all have our own opinions, and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lol, all opinions welcom foxracing! Just kickin the idea around, i know it wont be easy and like i said....didnt even try to put it back there yet, not even sure if it will hit the front seats or not also......as far as theft, if they want something bad enough the scumbags will find a way to nab it.......locked or not.......just may have to build a bumper/carrier....
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Check this out. Even though it's not what I run and it's close to $900 cheaper than this rear bumper & tire carrier, it was however what I was looking at and did a lot of research on because I was trying to save some money.

Rancho RS6221B - Rancho Rear Off-Road Bumper with Tire Carrier for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Now, take it for what it's worth. Meaning, people have said their stuff on what kind of product it is, etc. It squeaks, it this, it that... Again, I haven't run it so I have no personal experience but Rancho has made some significant improvments over the years in ALL of their products. The older generations of this product were less desirable from what I've read, but a lot of issues (if you want to call it that) have been resolved and/or improved upon.

Just some food for thought....

Quick Reply: tub mounted 37 in a 2 door??