Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trying to improve Ride Quality, please help!!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbp810
I'd think you'd want to look at both new coils and shocks

For on road ride, the EVO plush coils seems to have a great rep. For shocks, plenty of good options out there... hard to advise.

I have Rock Krawler 3.5" coils with Bilstein 5100's on my jeep, and the ride is fairly soft and smooth (even more so with the Anti Rock in front now). I've also had Fox 2.0 IFP shocks, they were great as well, but I think the Bil's gave a little better on road ride for me.
You think the sway bar is binding? Really got me thinking
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK08MCS
You think the sway bar is binding? Really got me thinking
Well, while I did certainly notice a softer (but also bouncier) ride with the antirock installed. I didn't install it for that purpose, and it does also sacrifice some on road handling... I did it for the off road aspect; much better feel for control off road while still retaining an adequate amount of flex.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to improve Ride Quality, please help!!

Rancho 9000 (all Rancho shocks) have a 90 day return if you don't like them. TRUST ME .. You will.
Shocks made a huge difference on my lightweight 2 door with RK 2.5's and E Tires.
I'm also running Rancho drop brackets and Synergy's Highsteer.

The 5100's sucked hard on my 2 door.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 01-19-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've run Rancho 9000XLs on three vehicles, a heavy Ford Excursion and three Jeeps. I've always liked them. The ride is great an do love the adjustability to dial the stiffness up when I'm packed out in my JKU or towing and dialing back when not or rock crawling. Great shocks for the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I'm in the same boat as you my friend. My wife never really complained about the ride quality but now that she's pregnant, she hates riding in the jeep. In my case the bone jarring ride started (I think) after adding extra weight of bumpers and winch. I ended up swapping out the teraflex 9550 shocks for Bilsteins, no change. Funny thing is that they were so highly recommended here on the forum but not long after I got them the opinions seemed to have shifted overnight. After some measuring I found the front castor to be way off which I corrected and in turn helped some steering issues I had but didn't correct the rough ride. Next I focused on the lift. After adding all that weight, the coils sagged quite a bit so I contacted TF and they sent out some coil spacers to regain the lost inch or so. It seems the ride quality has improved somewhat but not by much. I'm seriously leaning towards trying the new triple rate coil from rock krawler to see if it helps any but I want to rule out everything else first.
You mentioned a 4" lift which is quite substantial but you didn't mention if you have adjustable control arms or just the AEV correction brackets. If you say adding weight helps matters then maybe it is poor castor alignment because as the Jeep lowers with the added weight this might be setting the axles back to where they need be. It's just a thought and a 10$ angle finder will help rule things out as a starting point. good luck

Last edited by MFX; 01-19-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
Ditch the E rated tires also
This^

Check tire pressure. Do the research on how to chalk test them.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go to a progressive wound spring such as Synergy or a dual rate spring and as stated before get rid of the E rated tires. Even with E rated tires my Jeep rides pretty good with Synergy springs but I most likely will be changing them this summer to a dual rate. The torque of the Hemi jerks them around to much and along with the heavy weight of the Jeep they are just a little to loose now. The performed well when the 3.8 was still in.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

The Evo plush ride coils are just that, plush riding. I run the 4" Evo plush rides with Bilstein 5100's and couldnt be more happy with the nice and smooth controled ride. After the coils settle you will get exactly 4" of lift. I highly recommend them if your looking to replace your coils.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

As someone else mentioned what psi are your tires at?

Quick Reply: Trying to improve Ride Quality, please help!!