Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trying to get my ducks in a row

Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get my ducks in a row

After more thought, I think I might get some LT315/70 Duratracs (34.4"x12.7" according to Tire Rack) and some new 17" wheels for my Unlimited Hard Rock. My question has to do with lifts. Seems most people are going with 2.5" when they go with 35" tires. Although the tires I'm considering aren't 35s, 35" is the largest I could ever see myself going on a daily driver/family hauler/occasional weekend fun offroading vehicle. Is there benefit to going with a 2.5" lift? Or should I consider 1.5" or 2" lifts? Looks like my budget is going to top out around $3,500-$4,000 for everything (wheels, tires, lift, carrier, and labor). Is it even feasible to get quality stuff within that budget? As I mentioned, I'm considering the Duratracs, which come to $1,450 for 5 from Tire Rack and I doubt that includes other additional costs that get racked on, and I'm thinking either the Rugged Ridge or TeraFlex tire carrier. Haven't decided on which wheels yet, but they'll probably be alloy 17" in case I want to upgrade brakes later. And I haven't decided which lift, because I'm still questioning how tall I need. Of my understanding is correct, if I go with a 1.5" or 2" lift, I'll need flat flares, but I can use my factory flares with a 2.5". Is this correct?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had that tire on mine with a terraflex leveling kit. Mine is a rubicon so sits a bit higher but no issues. 2" should be plenty unless you start adding bumpers and winch.

Sent using smoke signals
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
I had that tire on mine with a terraflex leveling kit. Mine is a rubicon so sits a bit higher but no issues. 2" should be plenty unless you start adding bumpers and winch.

Sent using smoke signals
I have an Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock. So we should have the same factory suspension. Mine already has steel front and rear bumpers. I might add a bumper hoop to the front to add some protection from deer. Not sure if I'll ever add a winch, because I doubt I'll ever need one. Maybe one day, though. So with the added weight from the factory steel bumpers and possible hoop and winch, so you think 2.5" is the better option?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Any other thoughts?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

First, figure out what type of wheeling you will be doing, if any. Many people chose the lift because they want bigger tires for harder wheeling without really understanding what goes into that decision or how capable of a rig they already drive stock, including myself. I kind of lucked out because I purchased a lift that ended up being exactly what I needed, when I really figured out what type of wheeling I want to do. If you are going to trail ride some fire roads, mud, grocery store, nothing hard core then a BB (pucks) will be more then what you need. If you want to run some harder trails with rocks and climbs, blue and black rated, then you might want to look into springs, longer travel shocks, adjustable control arms and trackbars, etc.

There are also a couple companies that make a nice middle ground, including teraflex and RK that provide some lighter springs 1.5-2" that wont kill your geometry and will give you that extra benefit of a spring/shock combo vs a puck when needed. Also, figure out your budget just for lift because that will be a huge determinant if you are paying labor. I personally had very little mechanical skill before I did my lift, and I installed it over the weekend with some friends rolling in to help out. It's a lot easier than you think and can be done in the driveway with hand tools/rented tools from advanced. I rented a spring compressor (man that's sketchy on MC's dual rate springs )
Old 10-05-2015, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
First, figure out what type of wheeling you will be doing, if any. Many people chose the lift because they want bigger tires for harder wheeling without really understanding what goes into that decision or how capable of a rig they already drive stock, including myself. I kind of lucked out because I purchased a lift that ended up being exactly what I needed, when I really figured out what type of wheeling I want to do. If you are going to trail ride some fire roads, mud, grocery store, nothing hard core then a BB (pucks) will be more then what you need. If you want to run some harder trails with rocks and climbs, blue and black rated, then you might want to look into springs, longer travel shocks, adjustable control arms and trackbars, etc.

There are also a couple companies that make a nice middle ground, including teraflex and RK that provide some lighter springs 1.5-2" that wont kill your geometry and will give you that extra benefit of a spring/shock combo vs a puck when needed. Also, figure out your budget just for lift because that will be a huge determinant if you are paying labor. I personally had very little mechanical skill before I did my lift, and I installed it over the weekend with some friends rolling in to help out. It's a lot easier than you think and can be done in the driveway with hand tools/rented tools from advanced. I rented a spring compressor (man that's sketchy on MC's dual rate springs )
Most of this Jeep's life is going to spent on the road. So road manners would probably be my top priority. I haven't really done any offroading, but I would like to. There are some ORV parks within a 2-3 hour drive, and I think some public trails in about that distance also. The parks have trails that range from easy to advanced. Most of the local I'd do would just be simple getting off the pavement to hunt, camp, shoot guns, and that sort of thing. If I could find a place to play in some mud, I'd do that also. Since this is a daily driver, I wouldn't be bashing it on the rocks or near on it in a way that could cause me to not be able to drive to work. Like a lot of people, I'm wanting to lift it for looks. I'm also coming from a truck that sat higher, and prefer the view on the road from that angle. I understand I don't want to go too high with a Jeep, though.

The lifts that have caught my attention recently due to how they're supposed to handle on the street are the MetalCloak Overland 2.5" kits (not sure which of their Overland kits would be best for me) and the AEV DualSport XT 2.5" kit. I think either of those would accomplish anything I'd tackle, work Well on the street, and look good. I've read positive remarks about both companies, but not sure if MetalCloak is worth spending a little more for. If another kit with the addition of the drop brackets (which is what I believe is supposed to help with the street handling) would be a better choice, I'm open to other suggestions as well. I just want to make sure I get quality parts, rather than possibly regret a cheap purchase down the road.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

I'm at 4500 on my build 35" tires and rims (5) c-gussets, labor, a poison spider bumper, a winch and a teraflex tire carrier & 2.5" lift.

I wasn't set on one specific tire though and ended up with a mud terrain generic plus rims mounted and sent to me for 1800.

Also sold my stock tires and rims for 1000, so I can't complain there guess that makes 3500 on the build.

I think 2.5" and 35s give it a good stance but I already see what needs shaved for wheeling purposes

Quick Reply: Trying to get my ducks in a row