Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

trying to get larger tires and installers won't put on

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nangulator

X2, I mounted a set of 44s on a set of wheels at my shop, I have no idea what kind of vehicle they where going on
Hey nangulator, can you pm me info for your shop. I need a tire stem replaced and im havin trouble finding a place that will touch my 37s. Too many chains in dtown and id like something a bit closer than the jeep shop.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markpit
tried getting larger tires installed , just 285/70/17 and the tire dealer would not put them on because they were larger then the oem ones which are 255/75/17. said that check engine light, abs sytem, esp would be affected is this truly a problem or not. I know it will mess up the mph. thanks
I wouldn't want a guy like that doing any type of service on my jeep... he sounds clueless.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markpit
tried getting larger tires installed , just 285/70/17 and the tire dealer would not put them on because they were larger then the oem ones which are 255/75/17. said that check engine light, abs sytem, esp would be affected is this truly a problem or not. I know it will mess up the mph. thanks
That's a bunch of "BULL"
Go to Discount Tire - you should have no issues. Or else go through your local offroad shop.

Also, most or all states require you to have your speedo calibrated after installing larger tires. Just a recommendation - If you're gonna pay for it just go get a programmer. This will allow you to adjust your speedo as required by law plus you can adjust settings for better fuel economy.
I use the Superchips Jeep Flashpaq. I think I paid a little over $300 for it but it does all sorts of cool stuff and when you go to have your Jeep serviced you can flash it back to factory settings for warranty work.

Anyway - Good Luck.

Quick Reply: trying to get larger tires and installers won't put on