Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trying to figure out lift kit terminology...

Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to figure out lift kit terminology...

Hello all,

I've started looking around at some lift kits just trying to get a feel for what's out there and am very quickly learning that there are a lot of options. What's the difference between a kit with no arms, a short arm kit, and a long arm kit? Is there anything else is should be familiar with?I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arms help ride quality and some flex. Depending on size of lift you choose you will have to purchase arms, driveshafts, track bars, flip kits etc.....

If your looking to have some flex without having to upgrade everything and still have the look and ride quality., stay under 3"..

Brands to look into

Teraflex
Full Traction
Rock Krawler

There are tons more lifts out there, but that's where I would start. I would also do a coil lift before a budget spacer lift
Old 12-14-2011, 04:26 AM
JK Junkie

FlexArms allow custom pinion and caster angles to be set for proper alignment, they also are used to re-center the axle in the wheel well for proper suspension movement.

Also when lifting your Jeep, it would be smart to buy quick disconnects so you have full flex

Btw... Long arms kits are cut and weld, but flexarms are an exact bolt on replacement for factory arms

Last edited by Hskr4x4; 12-14-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, thanks for the reply. That really helped. So would you only really need something like the long arm kit for a 4" lift? I'm probably looking to stay around 3".
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

You never have to go to a long arm kit...
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by shakeman0
Okay, thanks for the reply. That really helped. So would you only really need something like the long arm kit for a 4" lift? I'm probably looking to stay around 3".
You do not have to go with a LA kit when you go to a 4". Keep in mind also that one company recommends a 4" for 37's and another will say you need a 4" for 35's. Long arms do however improve how your JK will ride/handle for you on/off road. If you have any questions, feel free to call me.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

adjustable upper control arms adjust your pinion angle.

Pinion angle is the angle your differential points at your transfer case.
the more direct your diff points art your T case the less binding =less wear= smoother your drive shafts will be.

lower adjustable control arms track your axle front to back.
on the front this allows you to adjust road feel in your steering, out back it helps your wheel look more centered in the wheel well when you lift.
It does that in the front too, but the road feel and steering correction is the more important thing it does.

adjustable track bar adjusts your axle side to side.
Sometimes lifting your jeep will slide your axle over an inch or so. Some say it doesnt matter because with a solid axle vs IFS it does not really cause extra wear. But Right is right to me.
With a 2.5 inch lift and some relocation brackets you can get by with out any of the arms or bars, but it wont be perfect.
If I were only to do one, I would probably do the front lower control arms so steering is correct. Tha is the most important thing, at least at highway speeds. Second would be both track bars, and third would be upper control arms, 4th woudl be rear lower control arms.
I probably wont lift mine until I can do all of it though. I would rather do it right or not do it my self.

Good luck with your lift.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the answers. I think I'm getting a much better grasp on the whole thing.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Former Member

Give me a call if you want to talk this over. Its a little easier to explain things on the phone.

Chris

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out lift kit terminology...