Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trying to decide .... 305/70R16 or 315/75R16

Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide .... 305/70R16 or 315/75R16

Hello,

First post to the forum, although I've lurked for quite awhile. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on the board, but I was wondering about my exact setup and what you guys know about it.

I have an '08 Rubicon Unlimited w/ Northridge's OME w/ adj track bar susp kit currently. I have ordered the Pro Comp 8179s in 16x8 and I just can't decide whether I should go w/ the 305/70R16 or the 315/75R16 in either the MT/R or KM2. I still have the stock Rubi 4:10gears and auto.

1. How terrible will power loss / mileage penalties be if I decide to go w/ 35's? I live in the Seattle area and drive in mountainous terrain farily often.

2. Will I have to worry about tailgate hinges if I use a relocation bracket on my stock tailgate w/ the 35s?

I'll might eventually regear & get a tire carrier once budget can accomodate, but that could be a year or so. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just went to 35's with stock gears. and I have a 2010 sport x. I do live in flat georgia. 6th gear is pretty much for flat highway use only now. you can tell a difference but if your only gonna do it for a year before you regear than it's definatley do-able. I'd get the 35's
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have to agree, I have 35's and I haven't regeared from the Stock X yet (3.23s I think?) It's a dog in the mtns but on flats it's fine. with 4.10s, you should be alright for the time being.

I had a 35 on my gate for about 6 months with no problems. I say go with the bigger tires becuse if you go with the smaller set, you are just going to want to upgrade.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

35's you won't need to regear, you may in the future but you'll find the 4.10's adequate enough for that size tire. And I ran a 35 spare for about 3 months while I picked out my rear bumper/tire carrier it can take it. People make it like it's made out of paper mache or something and the door will fall off as soon as you put the 35 on it but that's not the case. Try not to wheel to much with the spare on the tailgate, you may want to throw it in the back.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie

Between those two sizes, there is only .1" difference in width and 1.5" difference in height. I doubt you could even tell the difference between them unless they were side by side. Any difference in road performance isn't worth talking about; probably about 100 RPM different at 70 MPH. I'd get the 315's.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool

I'm in some what the same delema. I just put on a Rough Country 2-1/2" budget boost and i need some tires now. I've been going back and forth with those two exact sizes. I will be doing some mild trails, but nothing hard core yet. I just don't have the cash to fork out for all the upgrades needed. I am not planning on doing a regear any time soon. I have an unlimited auto with 3.73's. I do have about a 20 mile commute to work everyday and its 90% a straight shot. Not much up hill down hill inclines. Some little inclines but nothing like going up a mountain and down a mountain. Would i be ok with the stock gears? I know its gonna be a dog, and i would get a superchip programmer to help out in the performance category. Would the 315's fit with a 2.5" budget boost. I also have a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper and winch. So i'm saggin a little in the front. I just don't know if i have enough room to stuff them also. I know the 305's will be better for on road performance, but i know the 315's will look better, but suffer the performance.

Lastly i know there was a thread talking about all this but i can't find it for the life of me.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Cool ... thanks for your advice, everyone. Anyone know if I'd experience any rubbing with that setup? If necessary I could supplement with spacers. Would that be a necessity??
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

From what I see, your wheels have 4" of backspace. I don't think you'll rub, but if you do, you should figure something else out instead of spacers.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do it

DONT THINK ABOUT IT JUST GET 315s BIGGER IS BETTER.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kabookie10
I'm in some what the same delema. I just put on a Rough Country 2-1/2" budget boost and i need some tires now. I've been going back and forth with those two exact sizes. I will be doing some mild trails, but nothing hard core yet. I just don't have the cash to fork out for all the upgrades needed. I am not planning on doing a regear any time soon. I have an unlimited auto with 3.73's. I do have about a 20 mile commute to work everyday and its 90% a straight shot. Not much up hill down hill inclines. Some little inclines but nothing like going up a mountain and down a mountain. Would i be ok with the stock gears? I know its gonna be a dog, and i would get a superchip programmer to help out in the performance category. Would the 315's fit with a 2.5" budget boost. I also have a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper and winch. So i'm saggin a little in the front. I just don't know if i have enough room to stuff them also. I know the 305's will be better for on road performance, but i know the 315's will look better, but suffer the performance.

Lastly i know there was a thread talking about all this but i can't find it for the life of me.
Go for the 315's. I have an auto with 3:73's and drive up and down the mountain 4 days a week. Yeah it's a dog, but not as bad as everyone makes it seem. On flat land I still keep the OD on and it hits 4th gear and only down shifts now and then when I hit a incline. I plan on re-gearing in about a year, but for now it's not that big of deal. I did cut the pinch seam though. Tires were a little to close to it. Here's a couple pics of my rig with a 2.5" TF BB and 315/75/16 Duratracs

Quick Reply: Trying to decide .... 305/70R16 or 315/75R16