Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TrueTrac Install Questions/Help

Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich6700
You are correct to a point,but I still stand behind my statement. If the rear was set up correctly from the start the backlash would be somewhere between 6 and 10 thousands do you agree. Now the rear has been broken in and has been driven with that setting for many miles and has loosened up over time causing excessive backlash. Now I'm replacing the carrier in a rear with excessive backlash why not set it back to factory spec. It is my opinion that a rear with excessive backlash is on it's way out and would recommend a gear change.It is also my experience that rears with excessive backlash cause undo stress on the drive train. Just my opinion and I also don't recommend someone with out any experience doing this job if they don't know how to read a gear pattern.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I have seen many gears come in howling and require require replacment due to a carrier swap where new specs were used upon reinstallation. I've also set up used gears without any issue, not knowing anything about previous backlash specs, by knowing how to read a wear pattern. I agree that reading patterns can be required in many cases but a simple carrier (only) swap is relatively easy and usually only requires matching existing specs. Personally, I've found it much harder to make inexperienced installers understand carrier bearing preload.

Quick Reply: TrueTrac Install Questions/Help