Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TrueTrac Install Questions/Help

Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TrueTrac Install Questions/Help

I recently purchased a truetrac and want to install it soon! Here is my question.... when I install it will I need to adjust the backlash or do I just remove the stock carrier and replace it with the truetrac. I do not have a experience in removing or working on the differential but if I dont need to adjust the backlash this seems like something I could tackle? Thoughts?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to check back lash. 6 to 10 thousands.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich6700
You will have to check back lash. 6 to 10 thousands.
Sorry, wrong answer.
Yes, you need to check the backlash but it must match the existing backlash or premature gear wear will probably occur. Check the backlash before you remove the stock gears and match it (regardless of new specs).
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac

Sorry, wrong answer.
Yes, you need to check the backlash but it must match the existing backlash or premature gear wear will probably occur. Check the backlash before you remove the stock gears and match it (regardless of new specs).
I don't know how many rears you have set up but if you set it up to the correct backlash you can't go wrong.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know how many rears you have set up but if you set it up to the correct backlash you can't go wrong.
Uh, you're asking "Dynatrac" how many rears they set up? THEY MAKE THEM!!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, but this is still incorrect. Gears wear during use and the backlash changes over time, sometimes quite significantly. Gears stay quiet with the greater backlash because they are worn in to the break-in pattern. Changing back to a 'new' spec can create a new pattern and cause excessive wear.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, but this is still incorrect. Gears wear during use and the backlash changes over time, sometimes quite significantly. Gears stay quiet with the greater backlash because they are worn in to the break-in pattern. Changing back to a 'new' spec can create a new pattern and cause excessive wear.
Completely agree, you're not installing new gears so you want to set the gears exactly how they were before installing the Truetrac.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by StevieRay
Uh, you're asking "Dynatrac" how many rears they set up? THEY MAKE THEM!!
I had replied when on my phone and did not see who had answered. Regardless I still stand behind my statement.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

You are correct to a point,but I still stand behind my statement. If the rear was set up correctly from the start the backlash would be somewhere between 6 and 10 thousands do you agree. Now the rear has been broken in and has been driven with that setting for many miles and has loosened up over time causing excessive backlash. Now I'm replacing the carrier in a rear with excessive backlash why not set it back to factory spec. It is my opinion that a rear with excessive backlash is on it's way out and would recommend a gear change.It is also my experience that rears with excessive backlash cause undo stress on the drive train. Just my opinion and I also don't recommend someone with out any experience doing this job if they don't know how to read a gear pattern.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks guys. So I'm going to call around and see what they would charge to do this. I do not want to mess anything up.

Quick Reply: TrueTrac Install Questions/Help