Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Truetrac in the front D30??

Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truetrac in the front D30??

I have a few question on the true trac, I am running 35s and re gearing to 5.13s. So I only want to have to pay for labor once.

1) does the true trac cause an extra shockload on the ring and pinion?

2) are they invisible in 2wd?

3) are there any negative effects in snowy/icy conditions in 4wd

I have a detroit going in the rear and want to be able to use 4wd in the snow and ice
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

1. This is really an auto-locker question/concern. The TrueTrac is a limited slip, so ... no? At least it is not an issue that is posted about that I have seen.
2. Another auto-locker question/concern. Other than the possibility of a slightly 'heavier' feel to the steering, you won't notice any of the effects you would if you had that detroit locker up front instead.
3. Gear driven limited slip, not an auto-locker, great on snow/ice.

If you notice some type of handling difference in your normal driving, it will be coming from the rear locker.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so this sounds like a good way to go! thank you for the quick reply
Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, it's a great option for the non-hardcore people who want a more road friendly traction device, that is still good for most off-road situations. The only people that seem to put them down are the ones who have never actually owned one, (it's a limited, it has to suck!!), or confuse it with a clutch driven limited, or those who spend a lot of time with tires in the air. (these can get by with a truetrac, but are naturally better served with a full locker).

I actually started with a Detroit/Detroit combo. After the first winter full of weekly trips up in to the mountains, I pulled the front and replaced with a truetrac. Then when the rear detroit blew up, I replaced it with another truetrac. The TT/Detroit combo was good, but for my needs, the TT/TT combo was the better choice.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine. Invisible in 2wd. I've never had an issue in snow/ice. Works when I need it and if it doesn't a slight tap on the brake wakes it up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True trac is great in snow/ice mud etc. Although I find it odd you want a Detroit Auto Locker in the rear if you are going to be on snowy roads and highways. If its an offroad only vehicle you will be fine. But on highways the Detroit Locker may cause you to slip and lose traction.

If you are going to be on the highway in snow/ice you may wanna consider a selectable locker, or true tracs front and rear.

Quick Reply: Truetrac in the front D30??