Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

True lift height

Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True lift height

I'm shopping for a 3" lift to replace my 2"bb and I was wondering if the 3" advertised was a true height or if you were seeing more or less than that. I'm leaning towards the 3" BDS lift but I haven't finalized it yet.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the 3" black diamond. i got a little over 4" initially. sagged to just under 4" after a few months. I did not fix the rake either. I added extra spacers to the front to fix that. I am ver happy with the lift and got a great price at northridge. very complete kit that included a front adjustable trackbar.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

I have the 3" BDS lift, and I really like it alot. Plus the waranty is awesome. The lift gave me just barely over 3" of actuall lift. I compared my lifted Jeep to a buddy that has the exact same Jeep I do, but completely stock (exactly how mine was when I bought it). The measurements I took showed my Jeep being right around 4.75" taller than his. That's with the 3" BDS lift and 35" (17" rims)tires compared to his stock suspension and the 32" tires (with 17" rims) that are on his.

I just added a PA 1" body lift today (about $100) to give it slightly more height. That was just personal prefernce though since I wanted it a little taller but did not want to spend $1500 or so on suspension parts to get the same outcome more or less.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

x2 on the 3" BDS - I got about 4.25" out of mine - no heavy bumpers yet, but will deal with the droop if and when I have to.

Great waranty - great price (got mine on sale)! Look into the gas shock upgrade if you decide to go with it. Well worth it in my opinion.

wrnglrguy - any reason you chose the PA body lift? (looking into one, and was just wondering) - sorry for the hijack!

JD

Last edited by jd1066; 02-04-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on if you are measuring the front, back, or total lift. Most lifts also address the "rake". My Black Diamond 3" lift, for example, gave 4 5/8" of lift at the front. But, I saw only 2" at the rear, and exactly 3" at the door!! So, is my lift 4 5/8", 2", or 3"???

I took measurements and continue to monitor at the front fender, front rock rail, front door height, rear rock rail, and back of rear fender. I've added bumpers, winches, and have replace springs. Ultimately, my total lift remains 3" from springs and 1" more due to going to 35" tires (4" total over stock as measure at front door height).
Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by motorhead0320
i have the 3" black diamond. i got a little over 4" initially. sagged to just under 4" after a few months. I did not fix the rake either. I added extra spacers to the front to fix that. I am ver happy with the lift and got a great price at northridge. very complete kit that included a front adjustable trackbar.
I have the same lift,very happy with it I got 4 1/4 inches/front & 3 3/4 inches/rear. I only have 600 mile since the I put it on, the rake is fixed
Old 01-11-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Black Diamond

Thaks for the info. Are the aadjustmant cams to correct the caster angle dificult to deal with on the black diamond lift?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 3" teraflex lift
what i really got in height freaked me out i ended up with a smig over 4 in front and 4.25 in rear

I think i got 4 inch tera springs in my box by accident

and after 1.5 yr i still have seen no settling in my springs

and that is with a heavy jeep winch and bumper in front rack and gas can and bumper and tirecarrier in back with a cargo box in back with recovery and tools
and it still sits at 3.75 high take every thing out and she pops back up
to 4 and a 1/2
Old 01-11-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Teraflex 3" lift and it gave me a little over 4".. I love it I have had it on for a couple months now and it is doing great... put on a Rugged Ridge front bumper and no noticable sag in the front and i still need to put the rear bumper on when i figure which tire carrier bumper i want to get...

Last edited by brandonbooth; 01-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I may see it change, but my 2.5" RC coil boost gavfe me 2.5" at the rear bumper and 3" at the front bumper. Nice level stance.

Quick Reply: True lift height