Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Truck-Lite headlight question

Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Love my tl's! Buy them!

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely love my Truck-Lites as well. They throw a far wider beam pattern than anything out there, but have a nice crisp cutoff so they don't blind other drivers. They don't throw light quite as far in front of you as JW Speakers (mostly because of the wider beam patter), but that's a trade-off I'm perfectly happy with especially when considering the price.

Here's four things to keep in mind:
1) Be sure to aim them properly so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
2) In some conditions, they will appear to be lighting up the road less than your old headlights. This is just an optical illusion! Because the Truck-Lites are much closer to standard daylight in color temperature, they don't change the apparent color of what they're shining on. This occasionally causes them to look like they're putting out less light than other light sources (street lights are the worst for this).
3) I'd go ahead and buy anti-flicker harness adapters for the Truck-lites. Jeep uses PWM to enable the same lamps to be daytime running lights as well as headlights. The LEDs in the Truck-Lites respond fast enough that some people can actually see the flicker as the LEDs flash on and off when powered by a PWM source. The solution is to use an adapter that has a capacitor in it to smooth out the signal. You don't need to run a relay harness like some other threads have suggested, as the Truck-lites are perfectly happy running on as low as 9 volts - too bad I wasted money on a full relay harness before finding this out!
4) Be ABSOLUTELY sure to aim the properly so you don't blind oncoming traffic. Yeah, I know it's a repeat, but these things are bright enough that it can cause serious issues for other drivers.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4Jesus
Absolutely the truck-lites are super bright and have a very wide pattern. You could easily run them by themselves and still be way better off than the factory lights and fogs
Yes, TruckLite headlights are much better than the stock. In fact, they are better than the stock headlights and fogs combined. Since I installed the TruckLites, I keep postponing the addition of offroad lights...

But, the TruckLite do NOT replace fog lights for the purpose fog lights are there for.
Fog is much thinner near the ground or asphalt, and that's why all fog lights are mounted so low.
Remember that the headlights on a Jeep are quite higher than on cars.
In thick fog or heavy rain, the light from the headlights glares back at you, and may lower your visibility.

BTW, yellow fog lights penetrate fog better than white light.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-21-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flomingo
WOW. Major difference! I just wish the Rigids were DOT approved for full time on-road use!!! I'll definitely be ordering the Truck-Lites
I run the Rigid Dually's in a flood pattern and use them on the street all the time and have never in the year I've had them had anyone flash their lights at me or have the police react in any way.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 4x4Jesus
I run the Rigid Dually's in a flood pattern and use them on the street all the time and have never in the year I've had them had anyone flash their lights at me or have the police react in any way.
really? we are talking d1's not d2's yes?

i had d1's in flood and ran them on the road for about 2 miles and got flashed by just about every car going the other way...

i had them redone at the factory to the other pattern and i still can't run those on the road unless i needed more light...

but now that i have the Truck Lites, when i turn on the D1's in the factory like holes in my Ace Stubby bumper, i almost don't notice the difference, its fairly subtle

if i were starting over again i'd skip doing anything with the factory fogs and just get the Truck Lites

my driveway has a pretty good slope, so its not really suited for marking the pattern on the door with tape, plus i wanted to do some information gathering about really big tires and such and how picky the inspection place would be, so i went to a place where they only do inspections and oil changes

for $12 they pointed my headlights at the state approved marks on the wall

was worth it for the piece of mind, of course that was a month ago and now i jumped from 33's to 37's so i'm thinking to be safe i should get them checked

i just don't want to be "that guy" blinding everyone, especially in a lifted Jeep, don't want to give people negative experiences with Jeeps/4x4's

matthew
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flomingo
I've searched for an answer to this but not coming up with anything...

I'm looking at buying a bumper soon and I keep going back to a few stubby models with no foglight cutouts but I count on my factory fogs to augment the crappy stock headlights.

Would an upgrade to Truck-Lites allow me to run without fogs?
Another resounding "Yes." I bought a pair of Trucklites for our 2012 JK and the optics are outstanding.

Beware reflective road signs, they're as bright as the sun at night when the Trucklites hit them.. The info above about the temperature of the light is true. What appears to be dim foreground is actually the world not color-changed to a dim yellow by halogen lamps. Light is being sent forward and reflecting just fine. It's something you have to see to experience.

I knew the stock headlamps were kind of... ok, REALLY crappy, so this is a mod that not only looks cool, but it's a safety upgrade.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aiming is very important. Aimed too high and you wont get enough on road where it counts. High beams will thrown up high as well.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Trucklites and they seem to be aimed too far to the right. The two "x's" are in front of the passenger and I'd to get them farther to the left. How do you laterally change the aiming? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump. Anyone know how to re-aim the headlights left and right?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
Bump. Anyone know how to re-aim the headlights left and right?
No. The torch bit adjustment screws go up and over and down and over.

i had them really close but wanted to be sure, so I went to a tiny garage that only does inspections and oi l changes, and for $15 they repoint headlights to state specs.

ive had the truck lites for a month now and have had zero flashes from the other lane...

matthew

Quick Reply: Truck-Lite headlight question