Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Truck Lights terrible light output...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Lights terrible light output...

I dont know if its just me but I had these installed last yesterday and am not impressed with what I saw last night. I see two huge V's in my light pattern and I really am not impressed by the light output either! Could it be that they are not aimed correctly?

I am thinking about switiching to the more expensive Jw's. It seems like I paid $450 for an inferior product, but I have seen people who are happy with them which is why Im confused. Im hoping its because they are not aimed correctly but I dont know if its possible to see that much of a difference, they do flicker as well.

Has anybody gone from Truck Lites to JW speakers and been happy doing it?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

yes aiming them properly makes a huge difference. Up and down is easy as there is a torx head screw for that adjustment. the horizontal is a little tougher as there is no adjustment screw for horizontal adjustment. You need to manipulate the lights side to side using black tape or something else to wedge in the bracket to get them to stay. I know it is a pain but leave your grill off while aiming them to make it easier. You just need to find a flat even surface where you can shine your lights on the side of a building to get them properly aimed. Makes a huge difference. I love mine and best $450 I have spent. absolutely light up the roadway at night and I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had same problem after buying my tl after aiming they are worth the money.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had same problem after buying my TL, but after aiming them they are worth the money
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default TL to JW

I went from TL to JW, at the end I like better the JW speakers, they trow a lot more light (low/ regular lights), better pattern, no "X".
They are both better than stock no question there but TLs have the "x" there and if there is still some light like at dawn they seem to be off, someone mentioned that the light color seems to blend with the enviroment lights and seems that the regular lights from the cars passing are better but when it's complety dark the TL are better, high lights are great, beeter that JW highlights. I use to think that JWs look better than that TL, at least on pictures the JW look better but I like better the look of the TL on my green jeep, sharp look, the dark gray color looks great.

IMHO. For Truck lite, good:
Better looks that JW.
Better high lights than JW.
White light on the entire pattern, JWs have color distortion at the edge of the pattern.
Cheaper than JW.
Better than stock.

Bad:
Not so great in low lights, JWs are far better in low light, JWs high lights are almost the same as low lights but you do not need highlights (also have off road lights)
Flicker, TL and JW flickers without the special harness.
Beam pattern, two "X".

For me, I love the light pattern of JWs, no Xs and better area coverage, far better on low light than TLs. I planned to keep my TLs but I got a good deal from a fellow jeeper in this forum.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

deffinitly try adjusting them more, I know it took me a while to get them right which I need to redo after my lift and bumpers. They do tend to look off at certain times of the day which bugs me, but after getting everything decently aimed I am happy with them. Myne also flicker I just havnt done anything about that yet since I dont really notice it anymore.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by El Jeepo
I went from TL to JW, at the end I like better the JW speakers, they trow a lot more light (low/ regular lights), better pattern, no "X".
They are both better than stock no question there but TLs have the "x" there and if there is still some light like at dawn they seem to be off, someone mentioned that the light color seems to blend with the enviroment lights and seems that the regular lights from the cars passing are better but when it's complety dark the TL are better, high lights are great, beeter that JW highlights. I use to think that JWs look better than that TL, at least on pictures the JW look better but I like better the look of the TL on my green jeep, sharp look, the dark gray color looks great.

IMHO. For Truck lite, good:
Better looks that JW.
Better high lights than JW.
White light on the entire pattern, JWs have color distortion at the edge of the pattern.
Cheaper than JW.
Better than stock.

Bad:
Not so great in low lights, JWs are far better in low light, JWs high lights are almost the same as low lights but you do not need highlights (also have off road lights)
Flicker, TL and JW flickers without the special harness.
Beam pattern, two "X".

For me, I love the light pattern of JWs, no Xs and better area coverage, far better on low light than TLs. I planned to keep my TLs but I got a good deal from a fellow jeeper in this forum.
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I think I am going to bite the bullet and go witht he JW's witht he TLG harness. For this amoun t of money I dont want any flickering or low light issues. Very much appreciate everyones input!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Let me know if you want to sell the truck lites. I'm interested. PM me
Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

once I got my truck-lites properly aimed it did away with the X pattern that it had before I actually took the time and effort to get them set up right.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
once I got my truck-lites properly aimed it did away with the X pattern that it had before I actually took the time and effort to get them set up right.
I dont know how to aim them? I am taking it back to Rebel. I dont think they have been aimed. I will probably try this 1st.

Quick Reply: Truck Lights terrible light output...