Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A Tru Newbie Question

Old 01-03-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Tru Newbie Question

What is the difference between bias ply and radial? And what are the pros cons of each. Thanks to whomever for answering.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

The difference is in the way the body cords are put in the tire . A bias tire has the body cords (plies) on an an angle (bias) to each other. A radial tire has the body plies running parallel. The advantage of a radial tire is that it runs cooler, making it last longer. A bias tire does not "bulge" at the bottom so it is not as prone to be damaged as easly to curb scuffing.

Bias are mainly for offroad. Radial are for both but lean twards on road.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use the bias ply for my hunting jeep off road only works well . The steel plys in the radial tire only last a couple years in the desert heat so your buying new tires then you only have like 2000 miles on them.For anything you drive on the highway I would stick with Raidals
Old 01-03-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

if I run 70 percent off road and 30 percent on road could I get away with a bias ply? I ask only because I really like how I can get the super swamper LTB in 34" x 10.5". Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

What do you mean by flat spots? Anyone know of a different 34" by 10.5" Tire?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

When the bias ply tire sits on the ground for awhile it will get a flat spot but it will roll out as soon as you get them warmed up . I have no experience with them in cold weather though.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ronson
When the bias ply tire sits on the ground for awhile it will get a flat spot but it will roll out as soon as you get them warmed up . I have no experience with them in cold weather though.
If it gets cold enough, radials do the same. Quite funny when you make the turn out of your driveway, and the flat spots are no longer synchronized!

Quick Reply: A Tru Newbie Question