Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trektop as a winter top?? as well as....going rate for a used Hardtop???

Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To actually access the trunk it is a pain in the ass to undo the back window on my trektop. Hopefully this is fixed with the NX but not sure
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hodge7467
To actually access the trunk it is a pain in the ass to undo the back window on my trektop. Hopefully this is fixed with the NX but not sure
OK, so let me clarify what I said further up the thread. As someone else reported, simply opening the rear swing door is no problem, it works just like it would with OEM soft/hardtop.

My difficulty is in using the cargo area and having to unzip or disconnect the tailgate retainer. If you are putting something small in there - no problem, open the door and slide it in. Just like you would with the hardtop without opening the window. I received a christmas package that was approx 30"x30'x30" so I had to disconnect the tailgate retainer and unzip the back window a little bit. The difficult part for me is getting the tailgate retainer to snap back into place!

Upon install, you will find many mentions of allowing the top to warm up and sit in the sun for some time before trying to install and stretch things into place. Doing this in the winter? I find it nearly impossible. I was hoping that my top had stetched a little and it would not be so difficult zipping it back up and closing things securely but I can't do it. I can actually zip the rear window back into place, I just cannot stretch the whole thing back enough to get it to snap to the rear of the jeep. I even folded back the top and have myself as much slack as possible but it doesn't quite help. I left the window zipped and the retainer in place, it just doesn't close and I am leaking water into the back. I will live, the jeep will live, it will dry out at some point. Not overly worried about it.

Anyway, not totally bitching about the top - I like it and its looks. I was hoping that I would be able to take side panels and things off and still be able to get them on without having a sunny, summer day at my disposal but that isn't how it is working for me.

I also want to make sure it is completely compatible with the Tuffy rear locking enclosure.
I do not think it is. What Tuffy part are you talking about specifically? See the below thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-security-deck.

I have the security deck and have the same problem discussed here. Also note the people sharing my opinion about getting the retainer on and off and lack of cargo accessibility. Pros and cons!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I traded my hardtop plus cash for the Trektop...and after reading through this...i was pretty nervous about it....

but after a 5 hr drive (12 hr trip) yesterday....I am still stoked about the top. it was 45 degrees yesterday when we put it on my jeep, and yes there was some tugging that needed to be done, but we got it completely on the jeep.

Drove 5 hrs back home and it wasn't nearly as bad with wind noise as i was expecting. yes there is some noise coming from the front corners that i need to add weather stripping to or something as others have, but i'm very happy with my decision.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07UnlimitedMD
I traded my hardtop plus cash for the Trektop...and after reading through this...i was pretty nervous about it....

but after a 5 hr drive (12 hr trip) yesterday....I am still stoked about the top. it was 45 degrees yesterday when we put it on my jeep, and yes there was some tugging that needed to be done, but we got it completely on the jeep.

Drove 5 hrs back home and it wasn't nearly as bad with wind noise as i was expecting. yes there is some noise coming from the front corners that i need to add weather stripping to or something as others have, but i'm very happy with my decision.
Glad you enjoyed it on the way home and we could work it out so quickly. Enjoying the hard top as well. Thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Clear out ur inbox
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PocketWatts
Clear out ur inbox
Done
thanks

Quick Reply: Trektop as a winter top?? as well as....going rate for a used Hardtop???