Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trektop as a winter top?? as well as....going rate for a used Hardtop???

Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trektop as a winter top?? as well as....going rate for a used Hardtop???

I'm thinking of getting rid of the Hard Top for a Soft top. I like the Slant back look. I would need to sell the hard top as I don't really have a good storage place for it.

I've also have never owned a Softtop Wrangler, so it's all new to me. this is my first Wrangler, and it came with a Hard Top.

I am in MD, so we don't have horrible winters...infact it was almost 70 yesterday, lol. But I'm sure it will be in the Teens next week, lol.

How does the Trektop fair in the winter....and does it work well with the Tuffy Security Deck Enclosure?

Also..what is the going rate for a 07 Hard Top good shape, just paint chips etc.?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if your hard top is in really good condition, you can get rid of it in a hurry if you sell it for about $1000 or so.

regarding the trektop, if you get the new NX version, it will work out well for you as it has a lot more features that help it out in the weather better. it will also work with a tuffy deck although, i can sometimes be a bit tough to open and close especially in cold weather.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if your hard top is in really good condition, you can get rid of it in a hurry if you sell it for about $1000 or so.

regarding the trektop, if you get the new NX version, it will work out well for you as it has a lot more features that help it out in the weather better. it will also work with a tuffy deck although, i can sometimes be a bit tough to open and close especially in cold weather.
x2 on hardtop.
Sold ours in less than a week on Craigslist for $1000.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Although I have not installed my Tuffy security deck yet - I think I read something about there being an incompatibility with the Trektop NX rear door bracket or something along those lines?? If I remember correctly, the "fix" is buying an OEM version of the door bracket. I could be murdering the names here though.

I'm in the same boat as you though, considering letting the hardtop go. I have room to store it but could use the room for other things if I am not going to use the hardtop. Plenty of cold mornings here in Dallas (20-30) and I'm not having a problem keeping warm at all. No noticeable different from the hardtop really.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

just came back to vent a little ...

had to unhook the rear tailgate bar and unzip a little to get something in the back yesterday; damned if I can get it zipped back up and closed again. it's been on all fall and winter so far but if you unzip it ones, it is impossible to get back without some sun and heat.

that is good I suppose, it is a tight fit and it makes it quieter and less leak prone - downside is that it is damn near unusable in the winter. I'm sure other have better luck with it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure how much money you want to spend on the top but I know wild boar makes a hard top version of the trek top called a fastback that's looks pretty good. I have the trektop but winter weather isn't an issue in Louisiana other than rain and I had more leaks with my factory top than my bestop trektop
Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

So with the Trektop, you have to remove the back window to open the trunk door everytime?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to try the NX trek top. I have the earlier model and with it being my only top it leaks at my drivers door and in the back. I would personally stick with the hardtop for the rest of winter.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tailgate function is the same with teh trektop or the nx. it opens just like it does with your OEM tops. the NX has removable side pieces and is not as tight as the original trektop. I have no issues with my trektop with zipping the rear window or leaking. I actually used my trektop more than my OEM soft top. Just my $0.02
Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07UnlimitedMD
So with the Trektop, you have to remove the back window to open the trunk door everytime?
You do not have to remove the back window to open the trunk door. It is just like a regular soft-top and even a hard top...you can open the trunk door, but for full access you have to open the window also.

Originally Posted by Hodge7467
I would like to try the NX trek top. I have the earlier model and with it being my only top it leaks at my drivers door and in the back. I would personally stick with the hardtop for the rest of winter.
My trektop NX does not leak at all. I love it! The leaking you have could be that the drivers door is not aligned properly. I only know this because I had the same issue when I removed my hinges to bedline them. Came up with a leak at my front driver door and on the back driver side....realigned the front driver door and everything is great.

Quick Reply: Trektop as a winter top?? as well as....going rate for a used Hardtop???