Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trektop and roof rack

Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trektop and roof rack

Does anyone run a Kargo Master or other cage type rack and run a Trektop or other fastback style top? Before I pull the trigger on a fastback top want to see how it will look. I have a hard top now and want a soft top, either fastback or stock but really like the Fastback style and the stock soft top is a PITA to pull down with the cage. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I saw a fastback top with a rack on the highway last week on an unlimited. I'm not usually into racks, but it did look rather good.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Kargo Master rack, but a stock soft top. The rear cross bar does come back almost to the edge of the soft top. So I would imagine that a Fast Back would be shorter then the Kargo Master rack.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

i have a wild boar tilting rack, i got it with the idea when im running the soft top i can fold it down with no problem, well what it doesnt say is you still have to take the back bow of the top loose to take the top all the way down(ugh) but the design is nice, wind noise sucks(even more with the hard top and the freedom panels removed) and the worse part of all is the killer in gas mileage, i lost almost 2 mpg. its worth having for use for all the kayaking and camping we do. but if i had to do it again i would have went with a gobi, but now i want to lift my jeep and still park it in the garage, that said does anyone want to buy my roof rack??
Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Great Combo

Had both the TrekTop and KargoMaster cage on a 2002 TJ. The only way to go.

Unfortunately, to put down a stock soft top, you have to unbolt the rack from the front windshield and raise the rack high enough to fold the top back. I had to make a contraption with a dowel to get the right clearance. Real drag! And forget about doing it in the garage.

Then I got the TrekTop. It was rock star. Slid right off the back and I never had to unbolt the rack again. Also, TrekTop folds up really small, stores well and I love not having all the stock top fabric hanging off the back of the Jeep.

First few times with the TrekTop were a bit challenging, but if you master the steps in the right order, you can get it on in a few minutes. Much faster than the stock top. And taking it off is super fast. I even leave the back window in and just pull the entire thing off.

I have a JK now and both are on the list. Unlimited with TrekTop is one of the coolest looks... Fastback is really pronounced on 4-door. Saw them in Moab.

KargoMaster will rust after one year or so. You can probably prevent this by sealing all openings really well. Crossbars are excellent. It is a very rugged rack and extremely well built. Only challenge will be to find pads and accessories for the large crossbars.

Cannot go wrong with this combo, in my opinion.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Appreciate the reply, that was my thought on it but wanted someone else's thoughts. I love the look of the Trektop and can't beat the price, but trying to picture my rack and the Trektop together on the Jeep. Any pics of the old jeep with both?
Yeah I read all the reviews on the Kargo Master and Silicone dthe hell out of it when putting it together. Shouldn't rust unless I scratch it.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Photo

Best photo I've got. Sorry. One interesting thing this does show is the Velcro on the back tailgate. If I open the driver's window while driving, the air pressure detaches the Velcro in the back. Not that big a deal... just have to fix.

Opening the back tailgate with the Velcro is a drag. Have to detach every time. But I hear they are using a bar now. And if so, there is probably a small gap that allows the air to flow. Just a guess.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a pic of the one that I saw a few weeks back. It's JoeBlob's. Warrior cargo rack with a Wild Boar top.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Hog
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WranglerPike
Does anyone run a Kargo Master or other cage type rack and run a Trektop or other fastback style top? Before I pull the trigger on a fastback top want to see how it will look. I have a hard top now and want a soft top, either fastback or stock but really like the Fastback style and the stock soft top is a PITA to pull down with the cage. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here's an old post of mine. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/unlimited-warrior-rack-trektop-notes-86702/
For a peek at a soft Treke with Warrior rack on an Unlimited, navigate to the picts in my signature.
It does roll open w/o too much effort, but some... off and on ing the whole thing is a bit of a pita

Quick Reply: Trektop and roof rack