Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trektop NX in sunrider position

Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trektop NX in sunrider position

Anyone else experience the trektop NX header bar slamming on top of the jeep or flapping when driving? I'm talking about when it's unlatched and flipped back in the sunrider position. I've heard it and felt it on my floor when it happens. Got a feeling the wind is catching it and slamming it around up there. Don't want to damage it and it's starting to bug the shit out of me and feels like something breaking
Old 08-23-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never noticed mine move around when it was flipped back. You could always get a strip of velcro (type that comes with the factory soft top) and wrap it around the frame.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you got the top folded like its supposed to be? I saw a local guy one day just flip his back while sitting in the jeep instead of folding the fabric when he flipped it open. That thing flopped all over the place when he got going.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Ya it's possible I'm not folding it right. I usually just unlatch and flip back so I'll try folding it today.
I'm not sure it'll fold though, the mid section straps under to the speaker bar so the part that flips back has the frame all around it
Old 08-24-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah. The top folds in half over the doors and lays across the soundbar.
When you start to open the sunrider part the fabric can be folded as you lay it back.
It works good for me. No flapping around.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

The sunrider is for slower speeds I think it's max 35mph
Old 08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

When I fold mine back I get out and make sure the fabric is tucked or pinched between the frame on the sides. This helps keep the top tight and not catch any air while driving. I have had good luck with this driving around town but do not like to take it on the interstate folded back. It scares me when it catches air and raises up.

Has anyone else tried taking the rear and side windows off and crusing with just the top section? I did it for a while but the back started getting loose and flopping around.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 AM
JK Newbie

Ya I do it all the time. No problems at all. I even ride on the interstate with the sunrider open. No flapping. I love the nx.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same problem with mine. I fixed it by cutting a piece of conduit 59 inches long and covered it with foam pipe insulation. I then took approx 8 feet of cable and ran it through the pipe. I made a small loop on each end using cable clamps. Lay the padded pipe on the across top at a position where the header will overhang, fold the top back, and run each end of the cable under the top, but over the roll bar. Fasten both ends with a bungee, so that it holds the padded conduit snug. The header should completely hang over the pipe. Now it can bounce and not cause any damage to the fabric. When the back window is removed, I run two bungees from the header and attach them inside to stop the bouncing. I would only use bungees with plastic ends to hold the padded pipe in place. Works great!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

I take a small bungee and hook one end on one of the metal bars going to the header, slide it as close to the end as possible, the clip the other side to the bolt that holds the rear seat belt to the roll bar.

Obviously this only works with the rear panels removed. Otherwise, i use a tie down strap and run it under the roll bars, between the doors and door surrounds in the back seat, and hook each end of the strap to both header bars. This is probably the most effective of my two methods

Quick Reply: Trektop NX in sunrider position