Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trektop NX - Should I or should I not?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MtraXX
I've asked and still haven't seen what or how it looks like when its down (topless). I've seen them on the road with the windows off and top folded but still has the whole back portion covered. From the sounds of it, you can only put the front part back, take off the side windows, roll up the rear window??, and not put down the top main rear part??...

I want to be able to put it down like the stock top and be completely topless... Is this possible?

pics please of it fully down..???
Ok, and I'm sure if fellow members had the pictures or time to post them, they would. No need to get upset cause you asked and still haven't got any pics of what you want. Be patient dude
Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the nx for about 4 months now. Putting it on the first time was a bit of a pain, but that's expected. I can now take off the back windows in about 3 minutes, I do it while the wife loads up the kids. I drive with them off most the time, but when I want to put them back on its maybe 10 minutes, so really not that bad. Its a well made top and takes a little practice to quickly get everything fitting properly, but well worth it in my opinion. I have not tried to make it a full convertible, roll back the part above the rear seats, but it looks possible. There's a cross bar that sits in two pockets at the half way point of the roof that keeps the top tight when the front is folded back. it comes out easily. that is held forward by two straps that clip into the hardtop screw holes. I can post pictures if anyone wants. I haven't tried to actually roll it back though since my small kids sit back there and like it covered, but if no one posts an answer soon I'll go mess with it and get back to you guys. On a side note, the ONLY problem I've had with this top is there are flimsy tabs with slots in them that the front and rear cross braces sit in, and I broke one on day one putting it all together. I finally fixed it by making metal sleeves that slide over the break and make it all way stronger. I can post a pic of that too if anyone broke that tab like I did.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MtraXX
I've asked and still haven't seen what or how it looks like when its down (topless). I've seen them on the road with the windows off and top folded but still has the whole back portion covered. From the sounds of it, you can only put the front part back, take off the side windows, roll up the rear window??, and not put down the top main rear part??...

I want to be able to put it down like the stock top and be completely topless... Is this possible?

pics please of it fully down..???
You're right, you can either remove all 3 rear windows and run the top like a bikini top or flip the front part back. It doesn't fold completely down like an OEM softtop, you can remove it, fold it up and strap it down in the back but I just leave it in the garage. Here's a couple pics to show how much it folds up and how it looks laying in the back. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-219588333.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	332056

Name:	image-1326248888.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	332057
Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Afpilot82 thanks for the pics! I couldn't figure out what to do with the whole top when I take if completely off!

I too love my trektop. No factory soft top so it was perfect. I originally cut the 3rd brake light and ran lug LEDs in the spare. I had a few problems however most of mine came from little knowledge of soft tops... I say buy!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, went and messed with it and took some pics.

The crossbar I mentioned. This is where it typically folds back to, keeping the rear seats covered

Name:	ForumRunner_20120621_102536.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	332087

After I unclipped it and pulled the bar all the way back

Name:	ForumRunner_20120621_102558.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	332088

This is all that's left covered if you don't remove it completely

Name:	ForumRunner_20120621_102611.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	332089

And how it looks from the side

Name:	ForumRunner_20120621_102631.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	332090

This is my cracked tab repair, it won't break again

Name:	ForumRunner_20120621_102643.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	332091

Ultimately, I love this top and highly recommend it. If you want to completely remove the top, it would only take a few more minutes, maybe ten minutes tops from having it completely assembled to completely, and you don't need any tools to do so. This pulling the bar back option is good if you want to easily re-cover it if you park under a tree or something.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

I ordered it (for a 4th time). Talk about back and forth.

Originally I ordered it through Amazon while it was on backorder. Then again through Amazon when I saw Price Pros had it in. Well, it was supposed to get here yesterday. It did not. Also yesterday Amazon had it in stock for $581 with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime (which I do). So I ordered it and tried to cancel the Price Pros one but couldn't so I canceled my order again.

Today I learned that Price Pros never shipped it (even though they sent me a shipping notification). They told me that it had been damaged when they got it and thus decided not to ship it. Keep in mind this was 8 days after original shipment notice. So essentially they sat on my $$$ for 8 days and collected interest (I assume). Or maybe they were trying to find me another top. I don't know. Anyhow, they just notified me today that I would get a refund back of $662.

So for a 4th time I'm ordering the top. This time through Amazon Prime. Paying the $4 extra for next day shipping. So essentially for $585 I am getting my top tomorrow.

The main reason I want this top (other than the look) is to be able to open it up and ride in the sun in less than 30 seconds (at least the front part of the Jeep). Will probably run with no back window so my dog has room. When it gets cold, I will put the hard top back on. 3 seasons out of the year I should be able to run this top.

That's worth $585. Hopefully it arrives in good condition and all goes well on the install.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Ok, and I'm sure if fellow members had the pictures or time to post them, they would. No need to get upset cause you asked and still haven't got any pics of what you want. Be patient dude
Um dude, my post wasn't of any upset nature... Just saying I've searched everywhere for pics and can't find them. I'm not waiting for them to fall into my lap...

back at ya! Chillax brother!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by afpilot82
You're right, you can either remove all 3 rear windows and run the top like a bikini top or flip the front part back. It doesn't fold completely down like an OEM softtop, you can remove it, fold it up and strap it down in the back but I just leave it in the garage. Here's a couple pics to show how much it folds up and how it looks laying in the back. Hope this helps.

Attachment 332056

Attachment 332057
Awesome man, thanks! First time seeing fully down like that... My concern was being out and wanting to drop it down completely and not being able to but seeing it rolled up tells shows me that you can... NOW, i want it! Thanks again!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 12JKUSD
OK, went and messed with it and took some pics.

The crossbar I mentioned. This is where it typically folds back to, keeping the rear seats covered
Attachment 332087

After I unclipped it and pulled the bar all the way back
Attachment 332088

This is all that's left covered if you don't remove it completely
Attachment 332089

And how it looks from the side
Attachment 332090

This is my cracked tab repair, it won't break again
Attachment 332091

Ultimately, I love this top and highly recommend it. If you want to completely remove the top, it would only take a few more minutes, maybe ten minutes tops from having it completely assembled to completely, and you don't need any tools to do so. This pulling the bar back option is good if you want to easily re-cover it if you park under a tree or something.

Man, great walk thru pics... much appreciated! I've wanted the top from seeing it up but was always concerned that I'd only be able to flip it back and not pull it all the way... This will get added to my wish list... Another item my wife doesnt like the looks of, lol...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

do it come with the windshield header?

Quick Reply: Trektop NX - Should I or should I not?