Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trektop NX header issues and fix.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trektop NX header issues and fix.

OOHH MY GAWWDD!

What a night.. I was finally able to get the Trektop NX to fit perfectly on my Jeep -albeit, it wasn't easy, nor do i wish this upon anyone else to figure out alone so i'll do my best to explain what helped and what the problem was. PM ME if you need to. My fingers are so sore and tender it's actually quite funny now..

Problem:
1) My header would not latch NO MATTER WHAT I TRIED!
2) I couldn't get the top to tuck in behind the rear door surrounds. On the highway this would just flap like dumbo ears.. and also the door would not close with the quarter windows not tucked in properly.

What I did (before a fast approaching rainstorm)...

Installed the top originally in 85 degree weather this past saturday. For some reason the top DID latch, however the top didn't look quite right and the fit wasn't as nice as i would've expected. so I rode around in sunrider/Bikini mode until yesterday (monday) never needing to latch. So yesterday afterwork knowing the storm was coming I tried everything i know how to try and get this to latch but no luck..... yet..

First I took the rear windows out completely and trusted that my sport bar brackets were correct and not misaligned. Next I removed the rear bow so that if the top needed to shift in order to latch, it could do so. To put this back in you'll need your neighbor and a tool of your choosing to help push this through. I used a flat head screwdriver (a big one). Later on, your neighbors role after the top latches will be to pull the top back so that the rear bow can snake its way through the rear bow bracket.

After releasing the tension by loosening the straps and the center bar I ended up disconnecting the pivots that allow you to flip the front portion of the top back for the sunrider feature. When the pivots were disconnected, instead of clipping them in again I simply rested the quick release knob just ahead of the sunrider bracket it snapped onto (however keep the quick release knob in the closed position). This would actually buy you about a half an inch or more if you think about it.. Next, having done this to both sides, very gingerly try and close the top making sure the knobs are resting on the sunrider brackets (Part number 485.50 and .51). When the front portion is down, and if the quick release knobs are still resting on the bracket, you should be able to latch. Yes, you heard me, latch! Do this very slowly but latch all the way. When the header bar is secure, go back to the quick release pivots and very carefully pull the knob and try to engage the part into the hole on the sunrider bracket. This is gonna be tight because the top is down full tension. For some reason this was easier to do when the header was latched all the way. Must have something to do with the increased tension? Finally, when you've secured both quick released knobs to each side of the vehicle release the latches BUT DO NOT UNHOOK. Simply, and slowly pull back and release some of the tension but make sure the latches do not disconnect from the wind shield.

Congratulations you've made it this far.

Next, I called my neighbor and we fed the rear bow through the bracket channels. After this was done I began installing the rear windows and zipping only two inches in. The important thing here is to tuck the rear quarter windows into the door surrounds. Now that the top has moved forward a bit it should allow to get a better fit back there. These quarter panels were an indicator to me that something wasn't right when I first put them in. Now they look perfect.

The rest is pretty simple and no too dissimilar to what the instructions suggest after step 20. The only thing I did at this point before following through was making sure the latches were still engaged and had not disconnected.

Later on, the Bestop tailgate bar was a biyatch to put back in but it was as to be expected. If your neighbor is still around pull them aside have them help you make sure you're centered.

This worked for me and it was a lot of trial and error. Not sure why it didn't go perfectly the first time but I'm convinced with this top, it's only going to get easier. Best of all, it rained last night and no leaks. Had I not done this I would've been on a lifeboat or a rental car this morning I'm pretty sure.

Hope this helps. Good luck, be careful and be patient. It took about a half hour to do everything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK2.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	317169Click image for larger version

Name:	JK3.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	317170Click image for larger version

Name:	JK1.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	317171Click image for larger version

Name:	image-801710924.jpg
Views:	3525
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	317173Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1695113118.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	317174
Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really understand all the issues with the install of this top. Mine went on rather easily the first time in a out 60 degree weather. I must just be one lucky SOB...glad it turned out well for you.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see a poll to confirm this, but it seems JK's have few problems while JKU's have many.

MY JK install couldn't have been easier and I have no fitment issues.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afpilot82
I don't really understand all the issues with the install of this top. Mine went on rather easily the first time in a out 60 degree weather. I must just be one lucky SOB...glad it turned out well for you.
I know!! It's been 50/50 I think with the number problem versus non-issues. I personally feel if the instructions were designed so that you didn't latch but only engaged the header It would've helped. I also think the sunrider bracket can be redesigned to have an adjustability that allows you to lock the top about a quarter inch forward. small things.. Top looks great overall though. very tight!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the write up. I hope it helps when mine comes in.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Sat mine in the sun for a couple hours on an 80 degree day. No issues with install.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had mine in the sun too and it was 85 and sunny. I was confident i was safe but guess not.

Name:	image-3984370855.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	317215

Name:	image-2092887010.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	317216

Name:	image-3190286818.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	317217

Name:	image-3428912736.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	317218
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi

I really had no issues with mine either. It was 65 or so. Yes the rear bar is a bitch but now i have an oem and it is like solid gold to me now
Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I really had no issues with mine either. It was 65 or so. Yes the rear bar is a bitch but now i have an oem and it is like solid gold to me now
I know this have been covered many moons ago but can you tell me what the OEM bar has that the stock one doesn't? In other words "what's the big deal about the OEM bar?"
Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

JKU
With no problems
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2742023900.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	317220   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-334720981.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	317222  

Quick Reply: Trektop NX header issues and fix.