Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Treadwright tires for long trips

Old 02-21-2014, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Treadwright tires for long trips

I've searched the forum and online as we'll but I'm wanting to know how well treadwright tires hold up on long summer trips? This is the only thing I'm worried about with these tires is something going wrong at 80 mph on a 105 degree day on the highway. How far has anyone taken them and what was the temp? No haters unless you have actual experience with them on your daily driver. I'm tired of the "I've been a truck driver for years." Don't care. I'm not driving a big truck.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

I've had 2 sets of Treadwright tires so I can give you an honest review on how they've performed in the long haul with almost 100,000 miles in Arizona (you had worries about heat)

Both of these sets were on my FJ Cruiser and I had the 285/70/17 Guard Dog MT's.

First off, you will not find a better tire for the money. My first set I ended up having issues with 2 of the tires right off the bat. One of them had a small pin-hole puncture right where the sidewall met the tread and the second would not balance properly. Treadwright was fantastic and replaced both tires for free, no questions asked. The first thing I noticed is the tires were very loud at highway speeds. I think they've since improved the tires because a friend of mine has the 35's on his jeep and they're extremely quiet (The last set I bought was 2-3 years ago). Beyond the initial issues I never had a single issue with the tires. I ended up getting over 50,000 miles before they needed replacing. One thing to note is that when the tires finally failed at around 55,000, they failed hardcore. The first one had a piece of rebar go through it and it absolutely shredded the tire to pieces. The second one failed about 2 weeks later from a regular flat and the it as well shredded. The second set I ended up selling with my FJ and I had no issues with those what so ever.

I had planned on getting them for my new Jeep but since I now want 37's, it's no longer an option. They do sell a 37 but they require a 16.5 wheel which limits my wheel options to rather expensive ones from Trailworthyfab.com.

The buddy of mine who has the 35's couldn't be happier with his and again his wheels are eerily quiet compare to mine. His jeep is a daily driver and he makes regular trips to California from Phoenix. He plans on purchasing a second set once his current ones have worn out.

Overall a great company with a great, cheap product. Would recommend to anyone.

Last edited by Tapiozona; 02-21-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

I've got a friend who run's the 35" guard dogs with top temps of 100* and as low as 10* without issue. He's run them from VA to PA and hasn't had a single complaint. He is already planning on buying another set when these are dead.

Quick Reply: Treadwright tires for long trips