Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tread Wright Tires

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, I've never run passenger retread tires. Both my father and granfather had road construction companies and ran re-treads /caps on the rear of there dumptrucks. I've seen these things blow apart more than enough times to tell you I wouldn't never run them on anything. In fact, really bad idea to run them on the front. My dad cheaped out and put one on the front one time, it blew after about 2months and he flipped the truck off in a ditch.Just my 2cents.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Steel Rain
Yes Sir and besides retreads are illegal in this state as is breathing air etc. But you know, we see California road kill all over our highways from semi trucks from out of state. Not to mention the fact for the safety of families with young children during a rollover because of a blowout. Retread= disaster!!
Treadwright "remolds" have been tested by some of the 4 Wheeler magazines. The result? As good as new tires, and in some respects (related to tire compound for snow), better.

Visit their website and read about their process and warranty.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

One other point missed, I think due to ignorance of the manufacturing process, is that a Treadwrights are a remold, not a retread or recap. The only thing in common is the use of a used carcass (low mileage, x-rayed and visually inspected). Modern remold technology is vastly different than recap technology and almost identical to the molding technology used by new tire makers.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Not trying to stir shit, but, big truck tires retread/recaps= cheaper= fly apart more.
treadwrights are cheaper but they have superduper technology behind them so no fly apart asmuch.
I'm missing something I guess, but then again, I'm not buying them.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Cool... I don't think anyone is telling you to buy them!

Just stateing our experiences with treadwright which is what this thread is about! Not just any brand of retreads.

The process is different on this tire-brand then your dad's dumptrucks back in the day.

The price is cheaper because they are less then half the rubber as when the tires were first cast.

They are building a name through the process of inspection they put their tires through, it is the lifeline to their future as a company to inspect and put out the very best tires they can. There are a lot of tires to choose from, so they can afford to be picky.

It might just be... just maybe now no promises, just experiences... it might be they make a good product! That maybe an honest reveiw of this company and the product they put out will come up with an astounding good rating from everyone who has their tires on their 4x4.

Should we lie and say they are bad?

If they had trucks rolling into the ditch every week on blown out tires, how long do you think they would be in business? Maybe out of 20,000 sets of tires they have a bad one... I wonder how many new firestones came apart? Or super swampers, or nitto's ... if they produce the same odds of failure as new tire companies... why would we treat them different?

It is treadwright we are talking about, not every retread company out there... at least that is what I think?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that 4 digit code stamped into tires showing the week and year they were manufactured?

Do these tires get a new one?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I guess I'm just ignorant of their process.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
Cool... I don't think anyone is telling you to buy them!

Just stateing our experiences with treadwright which is what this thread is about! Not just any brand of retreads.

The process is different on this tire-brand then your dad's dumptrucks back in the day.

The price is cheaper because they are less then half the rubber as when the tires were first cast.

They are building a name through the process of inspection they put their tires through, it is the lifeline to their future as a company to inspect and put out the very best tires they can. There are a lot of tires to choose from, so they can afford to be picky.

It might just be... just maybe now no promises, just experiences... it might be they make a good product! That maybe an honest reveiw of this company and the product they put out will come up with an astounding good rating from everyone who has their tires on their 4x4.

Should we lie and say they are bad?

If they had trucks rolling into the ditch every week on blown out tires, how long do you think they would be in business? Maybe out of 20,000 sets of tires they have a bad one... I wonder how many new firestones came apart? Or super swampers, or nitto's ... if they produce the same odds of failure as new tire companies... why would we treat them different?

It is treadwright we are talking about, not every retread company out there... at least that is what I think?
Nice answer, good feedback.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good looking out for a new tire choice!

Wish they stocked the 33"x12.5x15 guess I gotta wait for em.

this is where i'm going for the JK when it needs some 33-34"

Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

There is a new date on them... and their name "treadwight" stamped in very small letters on the sidewall- tread... it is pretty hard to find.. but it is there!

BTW... if you wonder what they sound like... they whine like a mud tire. I like the sound of the tread hummin' down the road when I'm in my jeep... sounds like a jeep should
Old 08-26-2010, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
There is a new date on them... and their name "treadwight" stamped in very small letters on the sidewall- tread... it is pretty hard to find.. but it is there!

BTW... if you wonder what they sound like... they whine like a mud tire. I like the sound of the tread hummin' down the road when I'm in my jeep... sounds like a jeep should
Amen brother.

Thanks for the response

Quick Reply: Tread Wright Tires