Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tread Life? - INTERCO Super Swampers

Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tread Life? - INTERCO Super Swampers

Hey, what kind of tread life do you think these somewhat average? And, how bad do you think the noise is on the highway?

Thanks!

Oh, honestly, what do you think of them?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92610_6XX_PG.htm

(INTERCO Super Swamper TSL's)
Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

this specific one is a pizza cutter and way too narrow for my taste. having said that, TSL's are a good off road tire but if your lucky, you might get about 30,000 miles out of them - if you're lucky.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd say 20,000 if you're lucky. I have a set of bias TSL's that I use only when wheeling and they are pretty loud, and are also really tough to balance. My wife pretty much refuses to ride in it when I have the TSL's on. (which isn't ALL bad! ) If you don't drive a lot of highway miles TSL's would probably last a while longer because they don't get as hot, but unless you want tires for wheeling only, I'd recommend something more along the lines of the MTZ's or KM2's.

That said, a good set of bias TSL's are dang near indestructable. I can't think of many radials that would still roll down the road with some of the rock gashes my TSL's have.

Oh... and I second the pizza cutter thing. Those things are really narrow!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

They are bias ply, and are loud. My boggers never got more than 16k before I had to swap them and they're bias too, different tread though. If your worried about mileage I'd just get the radial TSL's. I know they've got at least about 30k miles worth of life, they look cool, and they are going to be quieter than the bias ply.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL!! i was just trying to be optimistic also, i would agree that they are difficult to balance and are noisy
Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are not known for their long life on the highway. If you want some long lasting tires you should look at bfg, toyo, or even goodyear. No MT will last like an AT but swampers aregoing to have a shorter tread life than most.

I LOVE the way that those tires look under a jeep. I think it is because I really like the old military jeeps, and they had skinny little luggy tires that those remind me of. But looks aside, unless you mud your Jeep a lot, I don't think it is a good tire to run on a DD (especially with the hwy mileage you say you put on). It also wont be as good on rocks as something with a larger footprint. But if you mud a lot, it is hard to find a better mud tire and the price is great!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

HAHAHA...yeah I don't think I'm going to get them. It was a curious thought thought. I figured they'd be loud and hard to handle on the road. I like the pizza cutter comparison. I'll definitely stick to something more...controllable.

Take care guys.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Hey, what kind of tread life do you think these somewhat average? And, how bad do you think the noise is on the highway?

Thanks!

Oh, honestly, what do you think of them?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92610_6XX_PG.htm

(INTERCO Super Swamper TSL's)
I had a set of TSL radials on my cj-7 which was off-road more than on, I got about 17,000 miles out of them
Old 03-07-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

An old coworker got 30-35 on the bias ply's but he had to rotate them every 3k miles haha. Nice growl to them and do awesome for light trucks.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

The very nature of bias ply tires is that they are round because of how the belts go around the tire, where radials tent to be flat and last a lot longer.

They do really look cool, though. I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide what I am going to do for tires when I have to replace the ones I am running now. I got the 36x13x16 TSL's for free, but there are only four of them so every time I go wheeling I am a little nervous about losing a tire. I am either going to have to pony up and get one for a spare, or pick which road-friendly 35's I am going to run and buy a whole set.

Quick Reply: Tread Life? - INTERCO Super Swampers