Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traveling

Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traveling

Just asking some fellow jeepers, what is some of the longer trips you've took your newly modified jks on???? Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question. Come to think of it I've never driven it more than about 200 miles on a road trip one way. However, with the new shocks I think I could tolerate longer on the highway. Now if I just had gear I would leave the WK at home for the long trips
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default trip

we went on a jeep jam near baton rouge was 13 hr drive one way only had the jeep 3 1/2 months and 3k on it lifted on 35's and regeared
Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Did a few couple-hundred miles road trips with my wife and son. Loved it, as well as my son. Mostly taking some shortcuts that were not possible with the mini-van.

Unfortunately wife did not like the rougher ride. She is more into the mini-van's soft ride.

So we agreed on varying and use switching trip cars occasionally.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Keep the info coming, more confidence all the time!!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 1400 + miles

A couple years ago the wife and I set out. went to Knoxville, Tn, - Jackson, MS - South of New Orleans - and across to Pensecola Fl then back across AL to Fort Payne and back home to Leburn, KY. In our 2007 with 2.5" lift and 33x10.50. We had a blast.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 1800+

it is as 2007 2dr JK. One of the best vacations ever
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

within a span of 7 days completed the following:

installed 3.5" Clayton Offroad premium + rear trackbar in the driveway -2 days to complete

drove around with stock tires testing suspension, no issues even at highway speeds other than slight pull to the right - 2 days

Discount Tire mounted Falken 315-70/17 tires and new wheels mounted - 1 day,

Took to aligment to check my work - made small adjustment to toe-in 1 day

drove it around locally at highway speeds, no more pull, drove it on wash board roads no issues - 1 day

Day 8 - took off from Texas to Utah, Moab and Salt Lake area, when trip ended I had covered about 5000 miles - does not include the local trips.

Ride was great, off-road was great

Would have liked to get regear completed but didn't have time to properly break ring gear in. OD was pretty useless so ran SuperChips 91 tune and that helped. Mileage was much better than expected (18.5 avg), OD used on mostly flat areas and downhill but that's the same when making the same trip with stock setup. Was able to cruise at 70- 75 - top speed 89. Once I got to SLC, installed Scream'n Demon coil and Livewires - this made a noticable improvement between 87 and 91 octane tune.

now just waiting for shop to schedule me in for regear.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

It's looking better all the time, just a few concerns, me and the wife are planning on leaving next week for ouray co we live in north Tx. Concerns are 900 + miles one way 6" lift two door on 35 baja claws. Don't know guess my thinking part of my brain is getting the best of men:: don'tknow::
Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

claws are a pretty aggressive and stiff tire that likes to sing on the road from what i can remember .

I used to keep a set in SLC to use when in Moab - thanks family!

never ran them full time and usually hauled them to Moab then put them on when there.

check your track pattern to make sure they're aired to give you the best ride.

how old are the tires? i've been told the newer design are better on the road

I see you have the 6" long arm ProComp - I drove a Jeep with that lift and 35" Generals - the lift handled well, doesn't sit real high.

check your zerks and grease everything that needs it - surprising how it helps with the ride

Last edited by jeeeep; 09-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Traveling